Moquitos....how do you get rid of them?

Hi group, This is kind of off-topic but the mosquitos in Minnesota are awful right now. Anyone out there know of a product or pest control system that ACTUALLY works? Anyone try Coleman's mosquito deleto? I've heard both good and bad things about this device. Please any ideas or advice would be great!! Thanks in advance. Toni

I don't know anything about them, but a recent issue of Consumer Reports says both the American Biophysics Mosquito Magnet Liberty ($500) and the Lentek Mosquito Trap MK01 ($325) work. Though performance was rated equal the Magnet Liberty was rated substantially more convenient to use. An Applica SonicWeb ICH 500 didn't work as well.
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair
quoting:

I was wondering. What about a bare UV (blacklite) fluorescent tube, and put it at the other end of the yard, away from people. Would it help? Would Mosquitos just fly around it and not bother people? Or will they just ignore it and go for the people?

Mosquitos are attracted to heat, moisture and carbon dioxide (a sweaty human). I hear they do not pay attention to UV light (or bug zappers, which end up zapping more harmless bugs that would normally be food for the birds, bats and frogs).
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net /

That's why those mosquito magnets are supposed to be so effective;they use propane to produce heat and CO2,attracting the mosquitoes to a fan to be sucked in and trapped.
The best bet,IMO,would be to use an area fogger and follow up with a propane-fired mosquito trap.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me

has
when
Hey Robert -- I saw a system like this at Home Depot. Can't recall the name of it offhand -- it was something like the "Bug Killer" or some similar such thing. It supposedly works with other brands of bug zappers as well -- Home Depot's web site has the octenol refills for 5 bucks, they last 30 days and go up in the bottom of the zapper.
James

We have a Mosquito Deleto and have had good results. Kinda tough to get refills though -- local stores here are not carrying them anymore which really bites (if you'll pardon the pun). The curious thing -- I never see mosquitoes on the sticky pads but I'll tell ya what, they stopped bugging us when we put it up last year. Just odd.
The Mosquito Magnet has gotten rave reviews for quite some time and if you can afford it I'd recommend going that route. The Liberty model is going for something like $325 at Home Depot.
James
Same thing here in Oklahoma City. Put the thing out last weekend(Mosquito Deleto), no bugs on the trap but haven't been bothered by any. Next door neighbors said they were getting eaten alive in thier backyard. The package comes with one repeller unit and one trap. We bought 3 more repellers at about $10 a piece. According to the information packet, mosquitos go after faint odors, carbon dioxide and I forgot what the 3rd was. BTW, the Coleman portable unit runs off a regular propane tank like on a BBQ grill or you can use the little disposable propane bottles like you find in the camping supplies at Wal-Mart. While there, I checked the price of propane bottles for torches since the fitting is the same and the price was almost double.
<snip>

us
<snip>

package
Coleman
can
Lucky you -- our Wal-Mart is no longer carrying any of the line, a real bummer. I don't know what those repellers do but they're awesome -- we put in whatever area we're occupying in the front yard and don't get bit once. Our repeller has run out of repellant and today I had to work in the front yard -- got bit a few times. I'm really missing it. :)
I think we need another octenol strip as well. I'd really like to know what happens to all the mosquitoes though -- never on the sticky trap, but they vanish from the yard. Go figure.
James
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/08/28/mosquitos.catnip/?related
http://www.ag.iastate.edu/aginfo/news/catnip.html