MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

Page 3 of 3

"Don Wiss" wrote in message wrote:

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See: http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Collybia_butyracea/h0001.htm
===C. butyracea is terrestrial. I suspect they are Pleurotus.===

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not good to eat. See: http://foragingpictures.com/plants/Mica_cap /
Don. http://foraging.com (e-mail link at page bottom).

Perhaps a better view for ID purposes:
http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/mushroom2.jpg
--
Dan Espen

Yep, they leave a large black spot after a while.
The lawn does especially well where they grow.

Thanks.
--
Dan Espen

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:13:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

This is a better page on mica caps: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/Mica%20Cap.html
On 06/26/2011 09:56 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

its edible, but not worth the time to cook it.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

I merely repost this as followup, with MY PHOTOS in the title.
David
On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 00:57:16 +0000, David Combs wrote:

Remind me a bit of shelf mushrooms of hen of the woods.
http://www.seasonalchef.com/marketreport102405.htm
But don't take my word for it and eat them.

Thank you!
Now I wait to see what others say -- see if there's a concensus.
And, if I *really* want to be sure, is there some site I should send the pictures to, or call on the phone?
Thanks!
David
On 7/7/2011 2:09 AM, David Combs wrote:

Yeah, dumbass. Instead of risking your life on the opinion of unknown non-experts on usenet, take one of them to your local university's plant pathology department. They'll have a mycologist on staff who can provide you with expert identification.
"David Combs" wrote in message wrote:

Thank you!
Now I wait to see what others say --see if there's a concensus.
And, if I *really* want to be sure, is there some site I should send the pictures to, or call on the phone? ==== You seemed to preclude any women from telling you what they are by asking "So, what do YOU GUYS think?" Looks to me as if you've been around Usenet more than long enough to know that using all caps is shouting, so there was really only one way for me to read that.
However, I see I will have to tell you so you'll quit asking.
In file 2987, I see some black staining. This indicates Meripilus.
Grifola (hen-of-the-woods) wasn't too far off, being also a polypore with a compound fruiting body. But if prefers growing at the base of old oaks, has smaller, thinner & (usually) browner individual caps, and does no stain black.
You know, you could've quickly found this out by asking in alt.nature.mushrooms. Still a couple of very knowledgable people there.
David, I looked but I am NOT much at identifying mushroom growth. Wouldn't it be great if they were one of the good ones to eat? YOu've got enough of them to make a nice dish.
"David Combs" wrote in message wrote:

I merely repost this as followup, with MY PHOTOS in the title.
David

What kind is it?
Is it one of those super delicious ones to eat?
Or poison?
(And if they're for eating, how to cook them?)
What else do I need to know?
I don't know. Some of you guys seem to be real experts. So whatever you think I should know, well, please tell me.
THANKS SO MUCH!
David