MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk

Thanks, all.

Didn't get to look at the responses until just now.

Maybe "mushroom" is the wrong word.

(Too dark now for photo -- will do it tomorrow morning.)

It doesn't look like a real mushroom -- stalk plus hat, like what you buy at the store.

Each one looks like a cauliflower, sort of.

David

Reply to
David Combs

That makes a big difference. Did you hear about the family recently from China, I think it was, a few years ago who thought they knew what was safe to eat, and they all died.

Reply to
mm

Buy a book from the Audubon Society and look those shrooms up. A lot of times they are edible. We harvest Hen of the Woods around fallen Oak, Morels in the spring. And horse or fairy ring mushrooms in the fall. By the bushels. I would never come out and recommend you eat wild mushrooms but with the right research you could have a goldmine. I sell annually over $1000 bucks worth of wild mushroom but I was taught by the old timers what is edible and isn't. Plus some edibles look very similar to poisonous varieties. Especially with the Morels.

I wouldn't worry much about what you have. Unless you've got little kids or animals who are inquisitive who might be tempted to eat what you have.

Reply to
A. Baum

I had a tree cut down but left the stump. I get mushrooms about half a foot across. I don't touch them but I think they look pretty cool:

but my favorites are in a lawn a few feet away:

Wouldn't attempt to kill them. They're good for the soil.

If they really bother you, cut off the top with a shovel. Only takes a few seconds. If they come back and they still bother you do the same. I would not attempt to go after the underground structure, it's probably a waste of time.

Grew up near New Rochelle (in the Bronx not far from the Pelham Manor border). Spent a lot of time on Shore Road and the surrounding woods. Spectacular area. Used to swim in the Eastchester River.

Reply to
despen

Sounds like "The Brain from Planet Arous"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See:

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not good to eat. See:

Don.
(e-mail link at page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Was the cut down tree an oak?

Did you look at the pictures of the chicken mushroom?

Here is a page on them:

Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

This is a better page on mica caps:

Don.
(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

its edible, but not worth the time to cook it.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Looks like edible Collybia butyracea. See:

===C. butyracea is terrestrial. I suspect they are Pleurotus.====

Looks like Mica cap mushrooms. Turns into black ink. Not poisonous, but not good to eat. See:

Don.
(e-mail link at page bottom).

Reply to
Nelly

Just a few Whitewalkers in my woods.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yep, they leave a large black spot after a while.

The lawn does especially well where they grow.

Thanks.

Reply to
despen

Perhaps a better view for ID purposes:

despen

PICTURES!!!

go to

I tried to take a stereo-pair, by shooting one, then moving the camera left 3 or 4 inches, and shooting again.

Actually, I tried that twice (on a different mushroom), but I think somehow it didn't get included (one of the two of the 2nd stereo pair).

And one shot across the garden (from maybe 4 ft height), so you can see that there's a four or five in that one shot.

Anyway, looks to me that they're all the same type.

So, what conclusion do YOU GUYS come up with?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

And who are they?

FYI: we live 2.5 houses east of the south end of "Beechmond Lake" (pond), on Beechmont. Well, 2.5 houses east of where Pinebrook Blvd goes North (one way -- goes south (also one way) along the west side of the "lake").

David

Reply to
David Combs

Huge, old, beautiful BEECH tree.

Took pictures today, and they're now at

David

Reply to
David Combs

True enough!

David

Reply to
David Combs

PICTURES!!!

go to

I tried to take a stereo-pair, by shooting one, then moving the camera left 3 or 4 inches, and shooting again.

Actually, I tried that twice (on a different mushroom), but I think somehow it didn't get included (one of the two of the 2nd stereo pair).

And one shot across the garden (from maybe 4 ft height), so you can see that there's a four or five in that one shot.

Anyway, looks to me that they're all the same type.

So, what conclusion do YOU GUYS come up with?

Thanks,

David ===

Curious to see what all THE GUYS come up with!

Reply to
Nelly

Of course I confused things. I misspelled their name. Rob and Laura Petrie. Rob's a writer for the Alan Brady show, and they have a son, Richie.

They live at 148 Bonnie Meadow Road, next to Jerry and Millie Halper, although it's possible by now they moved to a bigger home, or even a smaller one now that Richie is out of the house.

They must be well known in the community after 50 years. Although maybe I heard that Richie lives in the house and they moved to Manhattan. I'm so confused. Please have them write me.

Reply to
mm

If I was going to try to kill the fungi (likely a losing battle), I'd try adding a lot of lime to the soil....fungi tend to like damp, acid soil. Why kill them? Treat 'em like wild flowers, add some moss and ferns and you have a really cool flower bed. Whatever wood beneath the soil that nourishes them will have to rot away.

When I did nature photography in Florida, I once found a huge fungus similar to yours...the only day I was ever out without my camera...that looked like a giant carnation. About two feet across, light peachy/pink color, growing on a fallen live-oak log. There were lots of interesting fungi (and spider webs) in the woods, and mushrooms seemed to be a favorite food of squirrels and mice.

Reply to
norminn