Monster Garage-type question

Got a question for any Monster garage type thinkers out there. I want to build a way to raise and lower the head of my bed automatically. The trick is, the entire frame needs to be elevated, not just the matress head. All those craftmatic adjustable beds all can elevate the head, but bed in the middle of the matress to do so, meaning that if you want to sleep with an elevated head, you need to sleep on your back.

I've got heartburn problems that require me to elevate the head of my bed, but I can only fall asleep on my stomach, so the craftmatc-types wont work. I've been using blocks under the bed frame to elevate the head of the entire frame, but I'd prefer something that would be automatically adjustable, possibly with a handlheld controller of some sort.

I'd also prefer whatever motor to be quiet.

Anybody have any ideas on something I could jury-rig to work? I'm mostly concerned with the motor at this point. I'm pretty handy with electronics, but I don't know much about a motor/assembly system that could lift a bed reliably and quietly. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Actor 123

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Actor 123) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You need something called a linear actuator. Here is one that would seem to fit your requirements, complete with remote control:

Here is a catalogue of actuators:
Do a google search for others -- there are many variations available.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Any electric hospital bed can do this. The position you are talking about is called Trendelenberg. Typically, the controls on the safety rail don't control this but the ones at the foot of the bed will. The controls on the rail usually only control raising and lowering the head or foot of the bed, or the height of the entire bed. The controls at the foot of the bed should allow you to place the bed in Trendelenberg or reverse Trendelenberg (head low, feet high.... without bending at the abdomen).

Perhaps you could buy a surplus bed and rob it of parts or get a new one and not screw around.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Good point. Could be a H. pylori infection which leads to ulcers or could be even worse. Needs to be checked by doctor.

Reply to
Art

Seems strange to have a bed in the garage.....

Or were you looking for Monster House type thinkers. The former could build you a bed that does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds though.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Assuming you've explored the medical solutions suggested, how about a scissor jack? Or 2 of them coupled together. And an inexpensive shaded pole gearmotor to drive it. Grainger has hundreds of 'em, many reversible and under $100.

If you wouldn't mind manual labor to raise/lower, look at the tube jacks that trailer suppliers have. Bolt one to each side of the bed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim