monitor num times it turns on - automatically shut off if too many in 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2
This is the situation, we live in the Caribbean renting a house. The non-po table water for the house is a cistern, w/water supplied by the local gover nment. The house has a pump that pushes water up to a tank on top of the ho use when it gets a bit low. This is an automatic process when "the pump is turned on". So far, no problem.
This house, it turns out, has a public bathroom attached to it. And you gue ssed it: this public bathroom uses -our- private water. While I don't mind sharing.... anyone, it turns out- can leave the water running, especially i f they are a bit inebriated, as there is a bar nearby.
Usually this is not a problem, as I am home a lot and would just shut the p ump off if it's the middle of the night or something.
I'm thinking of an automatic solution to this... To automate this, I need a device that will monitor how many times the pump turns on. If it's, say, 2 x or 3x every 10 minutes... meaning that the water was most likely left on. .. this device would control a relay that will shut the pump off for an hou r. Then try again after that. If the frequency of the pump turning on is sp aced out more than 10 minutes at a time, then close the relay and let the p ump do its thing.
Does any manufacturer make anything like this?
Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid the issue you are having.
http://www.sanliv.com/self-closing-single-washbasin-faucet-20105
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

I like the ones you have to hold on. How was that supposed to work ?
Greg
Careful! Derby Dad appears to believe that the purpose of this forum is to provide helpful suggestions in ways you'd not considered. I tried providing more information as he brought up ideas, and he didn't seem to enjoy that process. You're in trouble, now! . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.
Careful! You appear to be taking this thread off-topic. Stormin has some strong feelings on that issue. He may have something to say about that...let's wait and see.
On 06-19-2013 18:18, feedscrn wrote:
> The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power > (and cost) for it.
And the option to rent from someone more reasonable.
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.
And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Put a on button on entrance with auto shutoff.
Greg
Sigh. Now you've done it. Providing TWO more posts with more information. Derby is really going to go to town with you. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
1) Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.
2) And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

oom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is t he pump and the power (and cost) for it.

owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks cons tantly while it's on.
What about a timer in the electricity to the pump, maybe on for one minute every 20-30 minutes, sometime there will be a wait for water, sometimes not. When you are there, you can change it to whatever works best for you.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:21:07 -0700 (PDT), feedscrn

Aren't you a member of the public? Can't you or some friend or hiree of yours use it like any other person. While you're in there maybe you can change the flapper that is causing the toilet to leak, and change the faucet if they leave that running. Instead of calling the mysterious man Johnny Appleseed, he could be Johnny ToiletPlugger.
The toilet at least can probably be done in no more time than a normal person might spend in the toilet for other reasons.

responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.
Thanks for your post... nice try though.
Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.
Rinse and repeat.
The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.
Thanks for your post... nice try though.
Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.
Rinse and repeat.
The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.
On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:41:00 -0700 (PDT), feedscrn

a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

I thought you said it isn't your house. So force the owner to take of it, or live with it. Whatever you do will be considered sabotage by whoever maintains the public bathroom. I mean, you want to cut off water flow there for some periods of time, right? There's nothing you can do except convince the owners to address it.
On Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:40:47 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:

e, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so of ten after an hour, let it rip.

see it all go down the drain... literally.

Sorry for the delay in replying... Thanks for your suggestion. There are tw o 'water sources' for the bathroom... The tank on top of the house... which is supplied by the pump from a huge cistern dug in underneath the house. I f the pump is off, the tank will still supply some water... I want to be ab le to shut off the pump so that if the water is left on in the public bathr oom, the pump - which is triggered on whenever the water in the tank on top of the house gets low, is shut off... to prevent water in the cistern from flowing out. This usually happens at night... I can check to see whatever is left on in the bathroom the next morning, and shut it off.
People suggested using a timer. Thanks. This is probably the quickest, simp lest and cheapest idea.
On Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:18:24 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

this

id

m is totally out of my control...

You're suggesting that I 'fix the flapper'... There are two problems with t his, unfortunately... one: The flapper works... The floating ball thingie t hat supposed to be in the toilet is missing, so when the water valve is tur ned on, the water just flows like there is no tomorrow.
and two: Me fixing the toilet would set a precedent... So that whenever the bathroom appliances need fixing in the future, they would start to come to me, and probably hold me responsible to fix. I want to avoid this scenario altogether.
On Monday, July 1, 2013 11:14:40 AM UTC-4, feedscrn wrote:

e this

void

oom is totally out of my control...

this, unfortunately... one: The flapper works... The floating ball thingie that supposed to be in the toilet is missing, so when the water valve is t urned on, the water just flows like there is no tomorrow.

he bathroom appliances need fixing in the future, they would start to come to me, and probably hold me responsible to fix. I want to avoid this scenar io altogether.
You can't fix the toilet without being seen? Follow these steps:
1 - Set your clock for whatever is considered "after hours" for this bathro om 2 - Put on a disguise 3 - Put an Out-Of-Order sign on the door 4 - Lock/Barricade the door so no one can get in 5 - Fix the toilet 6 - Unlock/Unbarricade the door 7 - Walk out of the bathroom 8 - Option 1: If there is no one outside the bathroom, remove the Out-Of-Or der sign 8 - Option 2: If there is someone outside the bathroom say "Darn, it really is out of order!" 9 - Go Home
If you used Step 8 Option 2, don't worry about it. Someone will eventually remove the Out-Of-Order sign or you can do it later when no one is around.
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:52:06 PM UTC-4, feedscrn wrote:

[...]

feedscrn wrote:

How big is the roof tank? If of reasonable size, 500 - 1000 gallons or so, I'd just put a switch for the pump and turn it off when I went to bed.
--

dadiOH