monitor num times it turns on - automatically shut off if too many in 10 minutes.

This is the situation, we live in the Caribbean renting a house. The non-po table water for the house is a cistern, w/water supplied by the local gover nment. The house has a pump that pushes water up to a tank on top of the ho use when it gets a bit low. This is an automatic process when "the pump is turned on". So far, no problem.

This house, it turns out, has a public bathroom attached to it. And you gue ssed it: this public bathroom uses -our- private water. While I don't mind sharing.... anyone, it turns out- can leave the water running, especially i f they are a bit inebriated, as there is a bar nearby.

Usually this is not a problem, as I am home a lot and would just shut the p ump off if it's the middle of the night or something.

I'm thinking of an automatic solution to this... To automate this, I need a device that will monitor how many times the pump turns on. If it's, say, 2 x or 3x every 10 minutes... meaning that the water was most likely left on. .. this device would control a relay that will shut the pump off for an hou r. Then try again after that. If the frequency of the pump turning on is sp aced out more than 10 minutes at a time, then close the relay and let the p ump do its thing.

Does any manufacturer make anything like this?

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
feedscrn

Why go crazy with fancy electronics? Find a source for something like this and install it in the public bathroom. It's a pretty common way to avoid the issue you are having.

DerbyDad03

[...]

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

Reply to
feedscrn

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Reply to
feedscrn

How big is the roof tank? If of reasonable size, 500 - 1000 gallons or so, I'd just put a switch for the pump and turn it off when I went to bed.

Reply to
dadiOH

[...]

If it is your water flowing through your pipes it seems the obvious solution would require a little plumbing.

Option one: If the connection to the public restroom is at the end of the plumbing supply of your house simply eliminate that connection and put a cap at a convenient location.

Option two: If the connection to the public restroom is located in the middle of the plumbing supply of your house simply remove the tee and replace it with an elbow that will supply the remainder of your house but not the restroom.

Obviously the same would apply for the drain and vent lines if the restroom is using your plumbing for that as well.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Thanks for your reply.... I thought of that... Actually I've been doing thi s for years... But the problem is that I'm not home all the time... Sometim es I'm back in the US, sometimes I'm out for 3-4 days... I need a 'cop' to monitor the pump for me at this point.

Reply to
feedscrn

That's a nice idea... but it's not possible... That is why I'm looking for the original solution in the OP.... There are no pipes going to the bathroom... For some reason, the owner made sure of that.

The ONLY Thing I have control of is the pump, and the power to it... That is it...

Sorry it makes it complicated... but it's not my house... This is what I have to deal with.

Reply to
feedscrn

That's a nice idea... but it's not possible... All the pipes are undergroun d, inaccessible. That is why I'm looking for the original solution in the O P.... There are no accessible pipes going to the bathroom... For some reaso n, the owner made sure of that. I looked... :-(

The ONLY Thing I have control of is the pump, and the power to it... That i s it...

Sorry it makes it complicated... but it's not my house... This is what I ha ve to deal with.

Reply to
feedscrn

I like the ones you have to hold on. How was that supposed to work ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Put a on button on entrance with auto shutoff.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
1) Thank You for your suggestion.... I guess I need to say that the bathroom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is the pump and the power (and cost) for it.

2) And no.. it's not just the sink. It's mostly the toilet, in which the owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

oom is totally out of my control... The only thing I have control over is t he pump and the power (and cost) for it.

owner responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks cons tantly while it's on.

What about a timer in the electricity to the pump, maybe on for one minute every 20-30 minutes, sometime there will be a wait for water, sometimes not. When you are there, you can change it to whatever works best for you.

Reply to
hrhofmann

totally out of my control...

Aren't you a member of the public? Can't you or some friend or hiree of yours use it like any other person. While you're in there maybe you can change the flapper that is causing the toilet to leak, and change the faucet if they leave that running. Instead of calling the mysterious man Johnny Appleseed, he could be Johnny ToiletPlugger.

The toilet at least can probably be done in no more time than a normal person might spend in the toilet for other reasons.

responsible doesn't really care to fix.... consequently it leaks constantly while it's on.

Reply to
micky

thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, maybe 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

Reply to
feedscrn

Thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

Reply to
feedscrn

Thanks for your post... nice try though.

Looking for an electronic device that can monitor how many times a device, say: a water pump- turns on in, in lets say: 10 minutes. If it turns on more than twice, wait an hour and look again. If it is not turning on so often after an hour, let it rip.

Rinse and repeat.

The thing is that the cistern has precious water.... and I don't want to see it all go down the drain... literally.

Reply to
feedscrn

Got it. Maybe look for something to monitor water flow rather than pump cycles? Numerous soft water devices have such. What I'm thinking is something like this...

  1. water flowing? yes shut off pump after x minutes wait x minutes, turn pump on, goto #1 no pump on goto #1 ____________________

Another thought is something like a sprinkler control that would simply turn the pump on at pre-set intervals for a pre-set amount of time.

Reply to
dadiOH