monitor heater is dead as a doornail and new heat system is required

Does anyone have any advice for choosing a new heating system for a split level 1600 sq foot house? I am a first time home owner whose house is freezing after the downstairs monitor heater died (it was only five/six years old) during the storm. I can replace the heating system with something new or just get new monitor heaters to heat both levels, the design of the house does not support the heat flowing up over the stairs very well---does anyone have any idea what is the most economical to install, maintain and run? The electric heat is overly costly. Thanks in advance for any help! hypothermically, BD

Reply to
bluedog