Moles in basement?

Someone asked me what she should do about moles in her dirt floored basement.
I can't imagine why there would be moles in a basement, since there is nothing for them to eat. I figure they are mice and she needs to put out mouse traps.
Whatcha think? (upstate NY)
toller wrote:

Since ground dwelling animals have no way to heat their homes, they seek the warmest environments to build their homes. The dirt under a house is warmer than anywhere outside the house in the winter.When they need to eat, they burrow tunnels under the ground to the food sources, like hibernating grubs. If she has a problem with wildlife, tell her to move to the city and deal with the real wildlife, the ones with guns.
If they are indeed moles, they are most likely looking for food (insects). Stuff a bunch of mothballs into the tunnels. Sprinkle cayenne pepper around the floor. The moles won't stick around long. You should also look around to see what insects are there that are attracting the moles and treat accordingly.

toller wrote:

Think cat.