Moldy spackling paste? ? ?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a quart-size of DAP spackling compound and used a bit of it.

Today, when I opened it, there was umistakable mold on the top.

I sure hope this doesn't mean I'm packing mold into my house. In a time when mold has become the hidden killer of houses. (I just got a notice from State Farm that mold damage is now excluded from coverage.)

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

I've seen this on some of my water based filler compounds. I just skim off the mold from the top.

There must be something organic in the spackle or fillers that the mold can feel on.

I don't think there is any problem of the spackle attracting or supporting mold growth once it has harded and the moisture is gone.

If in doubt call the manufacturer or your state dept of public health.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Mold grows where there is food and water. Much of your house is food, just keep things dry.

Reply to
mark Ransley

When you re-seal the container next time add a tablespoon or two of Javex to the top and then seal. This will prevent any mold from growing.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

If you don't want mold in your house you should have plaster. Gypsum and the paper on sheetrock are tasty foods for mold once it gets a little moisture. Bathrooms are the biggest problem because even if they are water tight from above and the plumbing is correct, the condensation from the shower in the winter will create moisture in the wall cavities.

Reply to
Brad