molding around bifold doors

I recently installed new bifold doors in my basement in a new frame that I installed. Now its time for the molding. I was thinking can I install the top molding in a way that hides the track, anotherwords install it below the jamb so it overhangs and hides the track? Obviously it would not be in the way of the doors opening or closing. Same thing with new sliding doors I also put in. Instead of installing a 1X to hide the track, can I just the molding to overhang the track?
On 3/9/2011 1:30 PM, Mikepier wrote:

I can't quite parse the last sentence but sure...anything that's not in line of fire of the bifolds is ok. I always use moulding of some variety to hide the track if it's surface-mounted inside the head; the specific depends on the look desired.
If I have the choice often I'll inset the track in a dado as another alternative.

Please spell correctly. I thought your post was about the black dangerous to your health stuff that grows in dampness, that is molding.. The stuff that is usually made of wood and is used for trimming in carpentry projects is spelled moulding, afaik.
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following:

Look it up. Maybe it has something to do with the English habit if putting extra U's in words like Colour, Favour, Neighbour, etc.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Please spell correctly. I thought your post was about the black dangerous to your health stuff that grows in dampness, that is molding.. The stuff that is usually made of wood and is used for trimming in carpentry projects is spelled moulding, afaik.
================================================= I'm the only net cop here, take a hike!

I usually make some simple molding to hide the track and outside edges of the doors. I just hung two sets and the molding was 3/4 x 1-1/4 and I routed a simple ogee on the edge away from the door. You can also use stock door jamb molding but making was cheaper and saved a trip to the store.
This approach pretty much hides the tack and edges. Before you hang the molding make sure there are no warps in the doors and I usually put the back edge about 1/4" from the closed doors.
RonB

So long as the molding doesn't interfere with the movement of the door, you can do whatever your little heart desires.
I've got the track on my bifolds (mostly) hidden with a length of cove molding. The molding comes down just shy of the door-top.
--
Tegger