Mold Testing

I just saw a TV show on the ills that can be caused by hidden black mold. After seeing that story, I don't think I would ever huy a house -- old or new -- without having it tested first. The problem is, mold testing appears to be quite expensive. What steps would be prudent prior to a home purchase?

Reply to
mcp6453

Getting a competant inspection.

Reply to
m Ransley

the world is a dangerous place. it'll kill ya. i suggest buying a suit of armor followed by the same suit worn by bubble boy. then finding a concrete encased, burried house with its own artesian well and a water purification plant in the shed. that still might not protect you from everything but its a start...

that or simply turn off the tv....

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I wouldn't recommend making a decision based on some clown on television attempting to make ratings. Check the Centers for Disease Control report and the newest one from the Academy of Sciences. There is a lot of hot air in this subject and a lot of needless scaring of people. If you have a wet house, get the moisture controlled. If you find mold, clean it up with chlorine bleach water and get back to real life. An overly humid interior environment is not healthy but the health effects have more to do with the general environment than any specific association with mold. There is a push right now by people selling to home inspectors to get them to push mold testing as a profit enhancer, but I wouldn't generally recommend it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Not sure what all it comes with, but I saw a mold test kit at Lowe's for less than $10.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

The mold scare is boob bait for suckers. While you're at it, have your ducts cleaned, your water magnetically softened, your house liquid-sided, your water heater tankless, and your septic tank fed.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I would agree that there is a lot of fiction, but I would disagree with your attitude that it is nothing to be considered. There is a certain type of black mold that causes permanent genetic damage in some people. It is probably rare, but it does exist.

See

The house had to be demolished.

Reply to
mcp6453

attitude that it is nothing to be considered. There is a certain>type of black mold that causes permanent genetic damage in some people.>It is probably rare, but it does exist

I've read about this black mold also. I forgot the name of it, but it is a black mold that grows on wood and wood panelling, and is often seen in damp basements. The types of molds that grow in bathroom showers are unpleasant, and you wouldn't want to go out of your way to breathe in the spores, but they aren't nearly as dangerous as the black molds described above.

Reply to
Chemqueries

Some informative links that deal with Black Mold and other, more common, mold/fungus hazards. Black Mold is a particular threat to infant lungs; adults are only rarely severely affected. But for anyone with existing pulmonary disorders, almost any mold growth is a potential threat.

There is a *huge* amount of good info on the 'Net. Use GOOGLE to search for : mold + health or similar searches. A lot of sites are selling *something*, so a little care is needed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim