Mold removal in basement - remove all the stains?

My basement has some mold growing on the walls. It's not too bad, only in one area where the water pump sits. I don't think there is any water coming in from the outside (there is another utility area on the other side of this wall, which is mold free). I improved the ventilation, took care of some condensation problems (the most likely culprit), and added a dehumidifier, so I'm read to tackle what will hopefully the last of the mold.

There are plenty of posts (and answers!) on mold removal, but not on what constitutes "clean".

I've scrubbed the walls down with Chlorox and a striff bristle brush. Gone over it several times. The walls are cement block, painted white. The paint has held up well, no flaking. The appearance of the blocks has improved, but there are still a brownish/ blackish stains on the blocks, especially in and around the mortar lines. Do I need to keep scrubbing it until it's ALL gone, or is that overkill? Would a wire brush help?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bas Pluim

Overkill. You could use a toothbrush with straight bleach, being careful not to splatter on yourself, if you want overkill. Some mildew leaves a stain, which I would expect to be more permanent on latex paint. Folks panic at mention of the word "mold", but if it looks clean, it probably is clean. There might be more moisture on the mortar if some is from seepage, but any significant amount of seepage ought to make the paint peel.

Reply to
Norminn

You've gone about it the right way by fixing the environment first, but don't forget - the bleach doesn't "kill" the mould, it merely bleaches it white/whiter. Better to use a borax based solution, or one of the EPA approved formulas designed to actually kill the mould.

Whether it's "toxic" mould, or not there's some good tips here:

Reply to
glenn P

"Killing" or "removing" or "cleaning"? Bleach is a good, but strong and hazardous, product to use to clean up mold growth. Without correcting the conditions that allow mold growth, using bleach is kind of like running a dehumidifier outdoors when it is raining .. the dehumidifier is doing what it is supposed to do (removing moisture from the air) but, of course, not changing the basic condition. Mold spores are everywhere (like the rain outdoors) and will grow where/when conditions are right. High humidity helps them a lot.

OP said he did a lot to correct the humidity. Wise move. Bleach is a good cleaner, but not for wood or metal surfaces, and tough to use without proper ventillation.

"Toxic" mold might depend a bit on who is living with it .. plain old household dust is tough on people with allergies or asthma. Basic housekeeping practices help .. don't accumulate stuff that is housing or food for pests, vacuum thoroughly and regularly, sunlight and ventillation, repair/replace water damaged wood and wallboard.

Reply to
Norminn

Norminn

Bleach does kill mold by removing oxygen. If it were my basement, and I do this, I just spray on bleach on suspect areas and thats it. A garden sprayer does large areas fast. If its on the walls spray other areas, keep humidity below 65%

Reply to
m Ransley
2 questions.

  1. Does Clorox Cleanup with Bleach have enough bleach to kill mold?

  1. If there is wood paneling with mold should I spray it down before moving it out not to spread the spores or does it not matter?

Reply to
Bob

Care to write that equation out for us????

glenn P