We are buying a new construction house from a large public listed
builder in Pennsylvania. During the construction the framing and floor
boards were exposed to the rains and roof was not on. This caused the
framing and flooring to get wet and developed stains, which me and my
wife believed to be mold. When this was brought to the attention of the
builder a mold treatment company was brought in by the builder and
complete remediation was done. The place was cleaned with the filters
and a mold resistant paint applied. The mold remediation company also
gave us a certificate that the house is now completely mold free and
the mold paint has a warranty of 7 years. We are fine with remediation,
but are concerned that when they are ready to sell there house,
prospective buyers (or their inspectors) will see the paint marks in
the basement and attic. Is this something they should be concerned
about? Will this cause an issue during resale ? Also will this affect
the value of the property? We will be closing in May, Should we ask the
builder for a discount or anything else that we should do to protect
We will highly appreciate advice and response
How do you know the original stains were in fact mold, were they tested
positive. If your house has no leaks or future condensation issues why
would there be an issue. What is "mold" paint, or should I say there is
none relavent to your issue.
The new buyer will probably be concerned to the extent that you make a
big deal about it. But you already have. I wouldn't invite a mold
remediation company into my house if I wasn't pretty sure I had some
kind of problem. And I certainly wouldn't want a certificate saying
"problem fixed" if there wasn't a problem to begin with. You have to
disclose known problems to potential buyers, too...
House for sale: Good condition, 7 years old. Mold specialists say it is
now okay to live in. EPA says it is now free of mercury, lead, and
asbestos contamination. IAEA certificatoin that it is currently
radiation free is still pending. Will accept any offer.
I echo the other answer.
Mold happens when stick built construction is excessively rained on before
the house is buttoned up from the weather and is not that unusual. It takes
time to frame and enclose a house and weather happens (this is a selling
point for prefabed construction, "we build in climate controlled
conditions"), if it worries you that much shop for a mobile, or prefab,
The building permit wouldn't have been approved and an occupancy permit
issued if the mold hadn't been remediate satisfactorily to the issuing
jurisdiction. Save the certificate from the company as, depending on your
state, you may need to specifically disclose it upon subsequent sale and
plan a housewarming party. The fix was done by professionals, is warranted,
and is considered a part of building a structure. Look at it this way, you
have had an additional professional inspection for mold done by
professionals and have a 'clean bill of health' with guarantee.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.