mold question

There is a moldy, musty smell coming from our great room in the past week. We cannot find any outward signs of mold, either in the room itself or in the crwal/storage space that the room sits on. The room is insulated, but we kept the heat off for most of the winter to avoid heating costs (this was our first winter in the house, the previous owners kept it heated all year as far as we know). We've seen no signs of water or dampness (again, either in the room or underneath), the only source of moisture I can think of is from the washer/dryer in the hallway adjacent to the room -- but presumably there would be mold close by?
Is it possible that mold is underneath the carpet? If so, does this mean the carpet must be replaced? Does it also mean was must keep the room heated in future winters?
Thanks, Jeff
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
By not heating the room, it is possible that there was some humidity that formed on the walls, and under any carpets that are on concrete. This will provide a good place for moulds to grow.
When cleaning up moulds, take care. They can be dangerous to breath in their dust which is composed of spores. Enquire about proper precautions for cleaning up moulds.
--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.