mold on walls

can anyone help us with a low cost tropical mold problem? we live in San Juan, without central air, but with A/C in the main bedroom... trouble is that when the A/c is on, the opposite wall (shared with the living room) is hot on one side and cold on the other, and mold forms on the warm side... this is also true of the doors...is there any paint that can resist mold, or some kind of thin additional barrier that could be constructed to solve this? would simple ventilation, or air filtering systems work? thanks in advance...... J

Reply to
jeslawrence

I've only been as far south as Florida, so I don't quite know your conditions. Some ideas...

Divert the blower on the AC so the coolest air doesn't hit that wall. Wipe down the moldy wall with water, household cleaner and a bit of bleach. Assuming electricity is ample, keep a fan going in the warm room so air circulates and the wall dries or doesn't form condensation at all. I have a friend who used to keep her bathroom window open about an inch, in spite of having AC. The AC vents directed cold air against the next wall, as it was located near a corner. The spot on the adjoining wall was always wet from condensation.

A better description of the house and conditions might get you better advice. Is the warm room open to elements? Can you crack a door in the bedroom with the AC to even out the temp more? How cool are you making the bedroom? Sounds very cold.

Reply to
norminn

Insulate the wall. Put a vapor barrier towards the side away from the A/C.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan