Mold on roof

I have Mold on my roof and It looks like it is spreading. The front of the house is were it is moldy, This side faces north I dont get any sun in this area. I haven't had any mold on the back of the house. It almost looks like the mold or fungus that grows on trees, Can this be part of the problem? I was thinking of spraying clorox on it to kill it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Add a "zinc" strip at the top. The run-off will help prevent any return of mold.
Just my 2-cents Bg
"SP" <me> wrote in message

SP wrote:

I am copying this post from cc0112453 (Larry?). I am sure he just posted it to the wrong thread.
The trees help in the process because they block out the sunlight. It is a common problem here in the Pacific Northwest. I asked someone once what to do about it and they recommended zinc strips. Zinc is a growth inhibitor for moss mold. I took my life in my hands (I have a very steep, high roof) and put zinc strips along both sides of the entire length of my house. One year later the moss had stopped growing but only near the zinc strips. I then went to a roofing company and asked them what they used. They sold me a product that has powdered zinc in it and comes in a can that looks like an over sized container of parmesan cheese. You take a couple of cans up on the roof and sprinkle their contents along the peak of the roof. The first rain will wash the powder down the length of the entire roof. You can also sprinkle it all over if you want or hose it down. The stuff works great. You still have to apply it every couple of years or so. I think it is called something like Moss-Off or Moss-Kill. You don't want the stuff for the lawn, it should say for use on roofs.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

You can either spray with bleach, as you suggest, and as an alternative moss killer is available at Home Depot. It is mostly metallic zinc in a liquid suspension, is fairly expensive, and is sprayed on with a pump sprayer, I believe. You first might check with your shingle manufacturer to see if either of these chemicals is harmful to them. I used a different approach: once I knocked most of the moss/mold on my shaded roof with a broom, I put a 6 inch wide strip of heavy guage pure sheet zinc near the roof peak the full length of the ridge, tucked under the ridge shingles. Two years have gone by, so I dont have a definitive answer yet, but there is no new moss there so far. I know zinc works. Just look at where pipe vents penetrate nearby roofs in your neighborhood. Both lead (especially toxic) and zinc plated plumbing vent gaskets/shields leave a mossless streak downstream from that point.
This message was posted by cc0112453, but on the wrong thread - here it is......
[...]
My grandfather onn his farm always put metal wire on each side of his roofs at the top on all the buildings (non metal roofs), anchored under the shingles ever so many feet. He used copper and Glavanized wire I think but am not 100 percent sure.
Never had any mold problems.
I am having a mold problem on my roof, almost black in some areas, did have many trees overhanging, cutting down or limbing up most to allow more sun and air movement. However I did notice, everywhere I had any metal (galavanized) there is not any mold for a path all the way down the roof underneath. I guess it is the Zinc in the metal that kiils the mold.
"SP" <me> wrote in message

this
like
"> I am having a mold problem on my roof, almost black in some areas, did have

It is the zinc, indeed. Drive around the neighborhood and you will see streaks of fresh looking shingles downslope from most galvanized pipe vent shields. Those that are painted when installed won't confer this benefit, tho. Older homes may have lead shields around the pipes; that appears even more toxic to mold, as the streaks are really light colored downstream from these older vents.

Correct, it is the zinc. You can buy rolls of zinc sheet metal to install under an upper course of shingles to give your entire roof this protection against moss and fungus.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
"SP" <me> wrote in message

this
like
I mixed a solution of 1 part Clorox and 3 parts water. Hand washed down the areas that had the mold. It did the job, shingles look clean and the mold gone. MLD
Let me guess. Your wife made too many jello molds for Thanksgiving and tossed some of the extra ones on the roof. I bet they are even green, right? Those are lime jello. Hardly anyone likes that flavor anyhow, so she was smart to toss them on the roof.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:35:25 -0500, "SP" <me> wrote:

Let me guess. Your wife made too many jello molds for Thanksgiving and tossed some of the extra ones on the roof. I bet they are even green, right? Those are lime jello. Hardly anyone likes that flavor anyhow, so she was smart to toss them on the roof.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:35:25 -0500, "SP" <me> wrote:

Let me guess. Your wife made too many jello molds for Thanksgiving and tossed some of the extra ones on the roof. I bet they are even green, right? Those are lime jello. Hardly anyone likes that flavor anyhow, so she was smart to toss them on the roof.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:35:25 -0500, "SP" <me> wrote:

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:46:47 -0600 "ߩ" used 18 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

How many times are you going to say that, fucknuts?
--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 21:16:39 -0600, G. Morgan

FUCKNUTS ????
OOOoooooohhhhhh, that hurts !!!!!