MOLD/MILDEW IN KITCHEN SINK DRAIN

About 11 months ago, I sprung a leak under my kitchen sink. After close examination, I found the vertical pipe between the sink strainer and the trap had rotted out, and the trap was getting soft also. I went to Home Depot (no more hardware stores around here or plumbing supply houses) and got plastic (PVC ???) replacements. I installed them, and until now, there has been no problem. About 2 weeks ago, my wife noticed a moldy/mildew smell in the kitchen that appeared to be coming from the sink. I took a good look down the drain pipe, and I saw what looked like blobs of mold in the pipe. I poured bleach doen the pipe, but it still stunk. This morning, I disconnected everything from the strainer to the far end of the trap, and took them outside and dissassembled everything. The curved trap pipe was OK, but everything from there up to the sink was loaded with stinky goop. I cleaned everything and reinstalled it all, and the smell is now gone. I never had this problem with the old copper pipes. Is this something common with the plastic pipe ??? I have been in this house for 30 years and this is the first time I have had to do this.

RON ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 RON

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It might be related to plastic as I have had that happen, but bleach first then filling the sink and flushing it works for me. I pour in bleach then seal the drain overnight to let the bleach work first

Reply to
ransley

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 RON

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Spend some time in the kitchen with your spouse and observe what she is actually dumping in the sink. She may have forgotten that deep fryer oils and cooking fats are not water soluble.Highly unlikely that the plastic parts are the source of your problem. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe