Mold in house-Can it come back after remediation?

Page 2 of 2

Since the mold occurred after the previous owner "lost" the house, there is no insurance claim on it. The bank has it listed "as-is", no mold warning in the listing either. Once remediated, and inspected and free from mold, this should not be an issue, right? Besides, I don't think there is coverage for mold only, unless there is a "covered" resason for a flood, and mold occurred directly because of it, from what I understand. Thanks!

Some houses have been burned to the ground because mold problems could not be fixed even though they were just caused by construction issues that were fixable. I would not buy it.
A little mold in an accessible place is one thing but this seems too much. Even without medical conditions I'd pass on this. If it flooded once it can flood again!
dancer1 wrote:

The reason it flooded is that the electric was shut off. The house is a repo (bank owned) and by the time they got the electric back on (I'm estimating 8 mths or so, by talking to the neighbor) the water had continued to seep in. Ordinarily (again, per the neighbor next door with tri-level also) the pumps run for only a few minutes, 1-2 x day during rainy times, to as little as 1x week depending on the weather. So, if the pump is not disabled, the likelyhood of this amount of water coming in again would be slim. When we saw the house it was nearing the end of a very wet 2-3 week period, and the lower level was completely dry (No evidence of any water except deep in the hole where the pump is) Also, the heat was not on during any of the time the house has been empty, so no airflow. I'm sure the winter dampness hasn't helped any. Did I mention this is in Michigan? It's been more wet the cold here this year.
snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

dancer1 via HomeKB.com wrote:

Sounds like you have all the basics covered with backup plans if you lose power and/or pump fails.........soooooooooooooo.........I would say your good to go!! You might want to have a little chat with your allergist though to be sure any residual dead spores will not effect you in an unpleasant way.......other than that........I would say that you found yourself a good investment .....like stated already.......if replacing everything with new.....and keeping the right environment.....the mold should not return. I wish you much happiness in your new home. Good luck.
Dean
dancer1 wrote:

I wouldn't buy the house, even when healthy. With asthma? No way! Gutting the visible damage leaves the rest of the house that was full of damp and mold. I have no experience with mold remediation whatsoever, but living 24/7 in a home with problems might bring out sensitivities you don't know about yet. Ck. with your physician, just for kicks. Ever had allergy tests?
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/mold-in-house-can-it-come-back-after-remediation-186402-.htm fredpage wrote: Why not check out what winemakers use to combat mold in wine caves. More challenging than even a basement. Here's a YouTube link: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRK6Xd5uZg
.
dancer1 wrote:

with Don too. If the moisture/air movement problems are not fixed, the mold will come back.
Tomsic