mold in attic

sometimes the problem is tricky,

my house faces south, in the winter the sun hits the front part of my inverted V roof but never hits the back part. I had some moist air leaking up from the bathroom into the attic and it would condense on the inside of the cold north facing roof. I sealed up the attic floor better, (there were some opening where you could actually feel the warm moist air rising into the attic) and added a passive side vent in the attic. You want cross ventilation in the attic and no air escaping from the house into the attic.

Bleach mixed with water kills the mold easily...spray it right onto the mold...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

In the attic lies Voices scream Nothing's seen Real's a dream

Leaving the things that are real behind Leaving the things that you love from mind All of the things you learned from fears Nothing is left for the years

Voices scream Nothing's seen Real's a dream

(chorus) Mold! Mold! Mold in the attic Mold! Mold! Mold in the attic Mold! Mold! Mold in the attic Mold! Mold! Mold in the attic

Voices scream Nothing's seen Real's a dream

Leaving the things that are real behind Leaving the things that you love from mind All of the things you learned from fears Nothing is left for the years

Voices scream Nothing's seen Real's a dream

(repeat chorus) (yayayayayayayow!)

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I agree with Nick on this one Bob. I Arizona, and Denver, low RH is a problem, even in the summer. It all depends on where you are located. Warm air CAN hold more moisture than dry air, but that doesn't mean it does.

Actually, if it is too wet in the attic, having the attic hotter will LOWER the RH.

Putting in a powered exhaust fan can pull the attic into a negative pressure with respect to the house and pull cool air out of the house. That may cause localized condensation in the attic. I don't recommend it.

If you must use a powered attic fan, use two instead. Set one blowing in at one end and another blowing out at the other end. That will keep attic pressures more neutral. But find out where the moisture is coming from and stop it. (Source Control)

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch