mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

Page 4 of 6
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You were only six when you did that. ;-)

That's when I was remanded to the Catholic Parochial Gulag back in the 50's and introduced to Sister Godzilla. Child care was based on sheer terror back then. That's why I don't like folks who mistreat kids. When I was six, I decided all adults were full of crap, the mistake I made was letting the nuns know it. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Your next mistake was growing up. ;-)

I met a cute little 4 year old girl one day and because I flirt with gals of all ages, I asked her if she would marry me when I grow up. The tyke looked me up and down and said "You're already grown up." to which I replied, "You're the first girl who's ever said that to me." ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'll bet she said that to all the boys! ;-)

I teach my tiny girlfriends to tell a funny looking guy who asks for their hand in marriage to reply. "I can't possibly marry you, I'm not an ordained minister." ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Then they call you a cab?

One of my baby girlfriends sent me a picture of her daughters. I've known her since she was a little girl and now she's 30 and has two munchkins of her own. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Not yours?

No, not mine. When she was little I always asked her if she would marry me when I grew up but she grew up to be a beautiful young woman who met and married a handsome young man and they now have two little daughters. The oldest is three and the youngest 7 months old. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You snooze, you lose! ;-)

Heck, she's like family anyway. Her late father and me were friends and we did a lot of contracting work together so now when she and her mom need help with something, they call me. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Do they call you anything that you can repeat in polite company? ;-)

Yes, but it's a secret. ^_^
TDD

That joke goes back at least as far as William S Gilbert. He was tall and authoritative-looking. A man mistook him for one of those people who stand of hotels, and asked him to "Call me a cab".
"Very well... You're a four-wheeler."
"Wha...?"
"You said to call you a cab -- and I couldn't very well call you hansom." (punning on handsome)
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I know it's an old joke. I use them as throwaways. ;-)
Jeff Liebermann wrote on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:47:40 -0800:

Hi Jeff,
Those were fantastic pictures. I always assumed it was mold, but, now, I must rethink 'what' it is.
I don't remember trying acetone, but, my screwdrivers still have a hint of the white stuff from years past, so I will try that to see.
Thank you very much for the wonderful experimental work. You're in the top 1% of all people who THINK on this planet!
On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 17:07:26 +0000 (UTC), Al Schmidt

The microscope photos were awful, grainy, and somewhat otto focus but sufficient to make a few observations: <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/ I left the microscope setup in my office and will try to take some better pictures with better objective lenses and better lighting on Monday night. Bottom lighting didn't work because the "plastic rot" was too thick. It also wrecked the focus as my depth of field is very limited at x100 and x400. Maybe lower power will help.
Ever wonder who makes the tool handles? <http://www.alhandles.com Nothing on their site about the problem, or even what type of plastics are used.
Typical acrylic extruded rods: <http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/colored_acrylic_rod/148

It's not mold. It looks, acts, burns, melts, and disolves like acrylic plastic. It's translucent, not white. It doesn't grow, has no structure, doesn't creat colonies, and doesn't produce spores.

Hold it. Don't try using acetone to clean your screwdriver. It will attack and make a sticky mess of the good parts of the screwdriver handle. Acetone will dissolve acrylic plastic which is what I guess the handles are made from. Consult a chemical compatibilty chart for plastics before using any solvents. <http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/acrylite_chem_resist.pdf For cleaning, use anything that will scrape the stuff off, such as a knife blade, scouring pad, or sandpaper. Use a buffing wheel to retore the shine.

Thanks again. I'll spare you my lecture on the topic. The simple version is from Sherlock Holmes, where Watson "sees" but does not "observe". Plastic rot is similar in that we "see" mold, but few have the time, abilities, and equipment to test if it's really mold.
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Or in other words, another failure of the proper application of Occam's Razor. All things being equal, the simplest explanation is that it is mold.
The failure is that accepting the simplest explanation "it is mold" limits the search for "all things" and some important facts are missed.
I see this all too often in computers, where people without a clue, fix a broken system by replacing parts randomly.
If there are 5 componens in a system, replacing any one of them has a chance of fixing the system, possibly as much as 20% and then declaring themselves "experts". :-)
Geoff.
It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Shotgunning is the true mark of a very poor tech. They don't want to learn why things fail, or what parts are actually needed.