Mold Attic Insulation

Had a couple of roof leaks. Patched them. Insulation (blown) shows some black colored mold (?) where it got wet.

Is this important? Do I need to find every piece of insulation that has a black spot on it and remove it, or is this most likely a non issue?

Reply to
Bryan

I would consider it a non issue. If it stays dry, the mold will be largely inhibited in any case. If you want to ease your mind, you could spray it down with something like Consan Triple Action 20 in water, or even Lysol in water. The first is a blend of quaternary ammonium compounds which are pretty general germicides. The second is a phenolic compound which also is effective as a disinfectant.

Reply to
Larrys25

There is black mold and there is black mold. Some of it is harmless and some if harmful. Without testing it there is no way to be sure what you have.

If you have someone in your household that may have health issues that would make them sensitive to molds or infections, I would suggest a very careful complete elimination of any evidence of mold. You may want to check your home insurance as it may cover any expense.

On the other hand, mold in very small but measurable quantities is going to be found in any home and outside. My friend had some serious water damage and lots of mold. After the initial removal, they tested the air. It came up positive. Then they retested it and tested the exterior air at the same time and found that there was no meaningful difference. They live in an area with lots of trees and a river close by. There is going to be mold at every reading. The insurance company did order an additional sweep to clean out any remaining evidence of mold however.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If your attic is properly vented no air should come back inside your living space. The mold will die and mold is everywhere, if you are still worried get a garden sprayer and spray the mold with bleach, bleach kills it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'd guess that the quantity and duration of the leaks would determin how to deal with the insulation. I might first take a handful of insulation and drip water on it to see if the color change is just a color chane. Then bleach spray would work on small superficial mold spots. TB

Reply to
tbasc