Moisture in the tool box - again!

What a good idea!

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

One of many that you've been given. Will you ignore this one too?

Reply to
Dan C

I have a good CO detector on every floor of the house. I know it is good quality because it save the lives of my daughter, her husband and their two daughters.

There are and I am. The contractor that installed our high efficiency furnace/AC was one of the most sought after contractors in this area. Unfortunately he died at age 56 from pancreatic cancer and his son was not interested in taking over the business. What a loss.

I may consider putting one in at a low level. It's and easy job and I can even build it so it accepts a filter.

Never. Our house is at the high point of our lot. Water drains to the south and east on those sides of the house and to the west and north on those sides. The only place I ever get any water is on the west side and is a very small trickle if we have had rains for days. A small part of our dog pen is flat and allows water to collect in that area. Come spring I need to pick up the patio blocks there, add some dirt and then replace them so the water will flow away to the east. We have never had a mold problem in our basement. My wife has lived in this house for over fifty years and the only time she has seen water down there was a couple of times when the sewer plugged and backed up. If that isn't a fun job to take care of with the 100' sewer snake we have. The last time I called RotoRooter.

Our house was built in 1909 and is where her parents lived when she was born. I doubt if I could pry her out of here unless it was to move to a warmer climate. However, we have never seen one that could hold a candle to the beauty we have here in Iowa with the changing seasons.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

We do not have a leaky or wet basement. Our oldest son is licensed in heating/air conditioning and checks it for us every fall.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

Dan, I have not ignored any of them. Some apply and some do not. It's as simple as that. Right now I have the drawers open and I have a 20" box fan running on low down there. I will adjust the dehumidifier so it will come on automatically if the humidity rises too much, and yes I will get a hygrometer the next time we are out and near Home Depot or Menards. I have seen some cheapies at WalMart, but don't feel they are trustworthy.

By the way, what makes you think I have ignored the other suggestions? Or are you just being smug without knowing the facts?

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

Here's three:

Here's about 350 more

HeyBub

Fantastic!

There is a Harbor Freight across the street from Menards.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

Google VCI - which are vapor corrosion inhibitors (which are leave a micro film on surfaces in confined spaces).

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Thanks Paul. I bookmarked it for reference when I have more time, like after my wife goes to work.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

I bought a combination digital thermometer/hygrometer from Home Depot for under $8. The average temperature in the basement is 70º and the average humidity is between 20+25%.

I discovered most of what I took to be water was actually WD40. My wife took a clean shop rag, poured some mineral spirits on it and cleaned the areas up that looked wet.

The other thing we did was line what drawers we are now using with the open waffle type of rubber or plastic shelf liner cut to fit.

We still have a long way to go in rearranging the basement so the tools are easier to find and there is a more efficient work area. We are doing a little at a time. Then when we had a very windy day last week it broke the light on the back of the house. That means tomorrow, weather permitting I will put up a new larger and better light.

The joys of owning a home: if it isn't one thing it is half a dozen or more. OTOH, this house was built in 1909 and it's still pretty darned sturdy.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck

Or just stop using your toolbox for a urinal when you get drunk !!!!

Reply to
carplumtrician

ROFLMAO!

I have been a sober and a member of AA for over 28 years. Besides we have toilet in the basement that works very well.

But you thought is funny. It wouldn't be if I were still drinking.

Reply to
Grandpa Chuck