Moister Meters

Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I have just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I should get a dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on an old barometer in the hall. John
Sound like your sales person doesnt know what he is talking about. Moidture meters measure moisture in wood or concrete.
Why do you need one, whose windows did you put in, what are the issues
John H wrote:

I find that most of the electronic meters are reasonably accurate and they usually are consistent.
The questions that comes to my mind is why did the sales person suggest you get a dehumidifier and moisture meter? I think this may be a more important issue.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
John H wrote:

I am not at all sure what you are getting at. Is it possible you are in the south, like Florida hurricane belt? Up north we seldom use acrylic windows and dehumidifiers are generally only needed for damp basements.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
The home type digital humidity meters should be fairly accurate for everyday use. They are usually within about 5%. If you go to a professional unit that is very expensive, they can be accurate to better than one percent.
--

Jerry G.
======

You can calibrate your hygrometer or at least see the accuracy of it. Take it in the bathroom and take a long steamy shower. The dial should be right at 100%. Then, just after the oven has cooled down to 100 degrees, place the unit in the oven. After 10 minutes it should read 0% or close to it.
John H wrote:

Yes at 70% you will want a dehumidifier and will enjoy the results. That also may explain the term "moisture meter"

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I had acrylic window panes fitted and I think that people may expect more improvement than they get (as measured by heating bills). Using a dehumidifier is a free way (for them) of getting that better result. John

suggest
He hay have said "humidity meter". John

I live further south than Florida (43degrees south of the equator in Christchurch, New Zealand). Our older houses are poorly insulated as in the past we never took the cold seriously just built a bigger fire. The humidity isn't particularily high here, the last few days have been 70 to 75%. People who use dehumidifiers say that even in modern houses they are a good idea. John.