Mohawk Lam. Flooring

Anyone know if this stuff is good? Contractor is offering me this stuff installed at $4.00 per ft.

Thanks

Reply to
SEPrince1

Well, I installed it in my house. I can't tell you how good it is since I don't have other stuff to compare it to. I bought it for $1.75 sq foot at a furniture outlet store.

Perhaps if you ask more specific questions I could give more specific answers.

Reply to
badgolferman

Make sure you get non-glued stuff and it can be snapped and unsnapped together a bunch of times. Don't believe much about the warranties..... most are crap. I thought the Mannington warranty was better than most so went with that instead of some others including Mohawk.

Reply to
Art Begun

Hi:

This is the Seneca by Mohawk brand and I'm wondering how long the stuff will really last. I know it carries a 15 year warranty but this will be the first time I've used laminate. Seems so much easier to maintain than the real stuff which I currently have in my other house.

Is there a difference between the pergos, mohawk or bruce? Or is all the same stuff?

Reply to
SEPrince1

Read the warranties. Some are pathetic. For example Pergo says any spill has to be cleaned up within 2 hours or no warranty.

On the other hand Mannington says it will come water damage that is not normally something that would be covered by insurance. Far more reasonable in my opinion.

Don't remember Mohawks except somehow I think that it was so vague that basically nothing would be covered. You need to read it for yourself.

After reading a bunch and phoning some of the manufacturers to see if they supported their product I went with Mannington and my parents are thrilled with it. Had it put into their new townhome.

You definitely want click (not glued) and get a few extra panels because one nice thing is that if a panel is damaged and you want to replace it you can, at least in Mannington's case, remove a molding and unclick the floor till you get to the panel and replace it. However some brands don't unclick and I would not buy them. And some unclick only a few times before their click no longer is secure. Mannington says you can unclick and reclick as much as you want. I can tell you that the floor is staying secure.

Make sure the floor is installed correctly. I had to dump a contractor. There must be the proper moisture barrier if on a slab and pieces are supposed to be no narrower and no shorter than manufacturer's specs. Sometimes, if you have a kitchen island than you have to cheat on width but length spec should always be complied with.

Reply to
Art Begun

I have experience with Wilson Art laminate and Mannington engineered wood. Both are good. The laminate I have is at least 6 years old and in the heaviest traveled part of the house. It looks the same as the day it was installed. No signs of wear at all. Care is a damp mop.

Check out floor covering dealers. They are often priced about the same as the big stores but have better offerings. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski