Moenstone Sink

Im putting in a new kitchen with just plain ole laminate counter tops. I would like to go with a black sink to match the black appliances. I think i have narrowed it down to Moens Moenstone Granite Sink. Home Depot has quoted me $359 for the sink, but they also have another sink in stock made by a company called Pegasys. The pegasys sink has the same makeup 80% Granite and 20% Acrylic. When i first saw the sink on display it looked great. I went back a week later and someone had managed to scratch the sink with a key it appeared. Against my better judgment i lightly ran a key across the same area that was already damaged and it did leave a white scratch mark. The pegasys sink is $199 at Home Depot, but if it scratches that easily it isn't worth even considering. My concern is that the Moenstone sink has the same makeup of 80% Granite and 20% Acrylic and does their manufacturing process yield a more durable sink than the ultra cheap Pegasys? Moen certainly has a better recognized name but? Anyone have a Moenstone Granite sink or maybe the Pegasys that can share their experience?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

I don't have either but 80%:20% is 80%:20% and acrylic is soft and scratches easily .

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

"Mike" wrote

I just put in a Pegasys sink two weeks ago:

... and so far, so good. It was the same price as the 18-gauge stainless sinks, so "ah, what the hell", decided to give it a try. The black sure looks cool! It's huuuuge - it has the same standard dimensions as the sink it replaced (33x22x8), but it's somehow a LOT bigger/deeper. The drain holes are much closer to the center line than the previous, so some re-plumbing was required underneath. Also, the (bigger) tubs make for less maneuvering room underneath - definitely install your faucet stuff before you drop the sink into the counter [1].

One maybe-drawback is that its surface is rougher than stainless, so it may require a bit more scrubbing eventually. But, the rougher surface will 'hide' things better than a shiny steel.

Just be careful knocking out the extra hole if you need it (it comes pre-drilled with 3, and you can knock out in 3 other places). HD claims they warranty it for life, according to the info sheet that came with it.

JSH

[1] This should have worked well for me, but then the faucet connections (Delta, see the recent faucet thread) went haywire and leaked all over, so I ended up having to install another faucet from underneath anyway. Ugh!.
Reply to
Julie

Julie, I went and looked at a higher end Blanco Silgranit sink today which is the same 80/20 construction as the Moen and the Pegasus. My girl friend couldn't wait to sink her fingernails into the floor model and low and behold with little pressure was able to put some distinct white scratches in the sink. Most but not all of which did rub off with a little elbow grease. We then stopped by Home Depot again and looked at the Pegasus sink again and had to open up a new box with the sink in it, and found the sink had a huge crack in it! I imagine it must have been dropped to have caused the crack. But she did the same fingernail test again and once again it was easily scratched. Have you found that you need to be real careful when dropping silverware or other metal pans and such into the sink? Have you needed to or been able to buff out any small scratches that have shown up? I guess in 2 weeks time your probably still taking it real easy with the sink. Im now thinking i might be better off with either stainless or a black cast iron. I did find this link tonight that is kind of interesting in regards to removing scratches in the 80/20 Granite sinks.

I really like the look of the 80/20 granite sinks, and im thinking that for $199 the Pegasus might be worth a shot? Decisions decisions...

Reply to
Mike

Lowe's carries the FHP granite sinks, and I've had one in for about eight months. No scratches, no dings and we don' treat it any kinder than our old stainless. We don't put hot pots on it, but we don't put them on the laminate counter either.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

"Mike" wrote

Me? Careful? Wrong girl ;). No, not particularly ...

True confessions time, I was a little less careful than I should have been when I went to knock out a 4th hole. Broke the shoulder off the sink, when I hit the sink instead of the knockout (duh). Kind folks at HD even took it back (!). Next sink, I used the ball peen hammer, as suggested in the first place.

I think the acrylic makes it less brittle - protects both the sink, and the glasses you drop in it (none broken yet!). To answer your question, I haven't noticed a thing, in terms of scratches. I did notice that after rinsing out painting brushes, some of the paint was harder to dig out of the sink's texture, but it came out.

Just realized tonight: between the ceramic flattop stove, the granite counters, and the sink ... I can put hot stuff ANYWHERE! Weird feeling.

If I weren't such a stupid HD lemming, I'd have liked the grey FHP sink. I do like the one I've got well enough, tho. So, go for it!

JSH

going climbing tomorrow, darnit!

Reply to
Julie

Ok so im off today to Lowes to look at the FHP sink. I also noticed on their website that they use a 80% Quartz 20% Acrylic and call it a granite sink.

have seen refernce to this same Quartz makeup in several newsgroups and elsewhere on the net. And read that the Granite sinks are a tougher material than the quartz and less susceptable to scratching.
carries the FHP sink under the Franke USA name (same as FHP). I managed to get more info from the Franke UK site and they do in fact manufacture both Quartz and Granite composite sinks. Their website shows a

66/33 mixture on the quartz sinks and an 80/20 on the Granite. (add confused look here). With mention that the quartz can be scratched by hard objects, and no mention of it with the granite. Quartz:
Granite:
Just talked to Lowes on the phone and they told me the Franke USA sinks they carry are not Granite and are in fact a Quartz composite. Funny im starting to wonder if these companies are marketing thier sinks as Granite and in fact substituting Quartz. Dont know if the Quartz sinks are cheaper to maufacture a or what. Both the FHP website and Lowes website claim that the sink wont chip or scratch. Well i guess if they will guarantee or warranty it for a few years or longer its worth a shot. Starting to get the paralysis of analysis sink buying syndrone here. Maybe someone else will find this thread uselful or confusing. Will post back what i end up with.
Reply to
Mike

All i can say is wow! what a difference with the FHP sink at Lowe's. I told one of the guys at Lowe's about how easy it was to scratch the other sinks i had looked at. He promptly pulled out his razor knife and went at the FHP sink. He was holding the blade at an angle and scarping the sink, so i asked him to hold it straight on and draw across the material and even then it only left a faint scratch that rubbed off! I took out my trusty old key and did my own test and couldnt scratch it. Impressive for sure so i guess what i read about Quartz being less scratch resistant than Granite was BS. My only small complaint was that the slate color isnt quite as dark black as i would have liked, but that didnt stop me from taking it home with me. Thank god thats over now i can obsess about the stove and floor tile:).

Reply to
Mike

The sink itself is not scratching... you are scratching off your fingernail onto the surface of the sink (which then can be cleaned off). Silverware or pans won't "scratch" the surface, it is just a mark from the object being left on the surface of the sink...they clean off easily. The 80% granite sinks are pretty unbeatable for durability.

Doc Rings

Reply to
docrings

I'm on my 2nd Moenstone sink. The 1st i bought in December to be installed with the new countertops in January.

Stupid me. I set it at an angle out of the wat to wait for the counters... and it got bumped... and slid down onto its bottom, and... got a nice spiderweb series of cracks from around the drain flange.

The second one, well, its been installed now for about 8 weeks. So far so good. 4 kids, lots of dishes and use. I just hopethat since its undermount that either they make them for a really long time or they hold up.

Reply to
jmgreen_