Moen Tub Cartridge Help

Hi - I need to replace a Moen Tub cartridge. I removed it and took it to the hardware store. I was first disappointed, then, pleased, and now confused.

The fellow at the hardware store asked why I didn't phone Moen. He said they didn't sell the replacement part. (disappointment).

He then reached under the counter and pulled out a box of cartridges and tried to match it. We found one that was close. He said that they didn't "sell" the part , so I could have it for free. (pleased).

When I got it home, the parts had some items that were shaped differently but that appeared cosmetic. The one main difference is that the new part did not have an o-ring at the back. I took the o- ring off the old part but noticed that the groove on the new part is way too thin for that o-ring.

Here's a picture of the part that I removed:

Here's a picture of the replacement part:
Notice the replacement part:

-has no o-ring

-it has round rubber pads (as opposed to square)

-has round orifices as opposed to diamond shaped on the rubber part

-has extra orifices at the front and back in the white plastic part

From what I can see on the internet, there is only one replacement part (1222) and both of the above are designated as part 1222.

Has anybody had experience with these and knows if I need a different part or some sort of kit to make this new one fit (specifically that o- ring).

Thanks

Reply to
wdoe999

I haven=92t seen one of those in a long time but if I remember correctly it works without an o ring.

Reply to
Molly Brown

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

Maybe because Moen will give you a new one free, ya think?

Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

nogo from the warranty page: "Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer purchaser must accompany all warranty claims"

Reply to
wdoe999

I'll give it a try. I guess the back of the enclosure is sealed so maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Reply to
wdoe999

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p23g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Call 'em. See what happens. Worse thay will say is no. Heck, ShopVac sent me a new motor once without me sending anything to them. Nope, it wasn't registered.

Reply to
Red Green

If this current part doesn't work, I'll give that a try.

Reply to
wdoe999

If the part does not work, give these guys a try.They're pretty good, and they have drawings and schematics of every faucet.

From what I can tell, it looks lkie you got he right part.

Reply to
Mikepier

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e20g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I'd keep the old part even if what you have works. Just in case it stops working soon.

In fact, you do have a bad one. Get it replaced if you can. May need it for the other side.

Reply to
Red Green

innews: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

I've had two warranty replacements from Moen. One a shower cartridge and the second was a broken soap dispenser from the kitchen sink.

Both were done over the phone. No hassle, no proof of purchase. Just polite, courteous representatives that asked a few general questions then sent out replacements. No charge.

Look up your model number on their site first. I still have the original boxes stored in my crawl space for this purpose.

LdB

Reply to
LdB