Moen faucet problem

I know there is an ongoing faucet discussion, but a new thread seems in order.
We have a Moen kitchen faucet, model Extensa. It has developed a leak somewhere and despite some 3 visits by the local plumber and some $220 in charges, it still seems to leak somewhere. All the fittings have been removed and retightened, it has received a replacement cartridge, and it still seems to leak from somewhere in the bottom "body". It is not spraying, just dripping slightly, which is baffling the plumber and us.
The faucet was installed during remodeling about 8 or 9 years ago.
Recently we had to replace the water heater, because some riser pipe had completely corroded and was "shedding" waxy feeling white pieces (Zn hydroxide?) which plugged up things especially inside the sprayer hose.
We were told during the last plumber visit that if the leak persisted we shoul replace the faucet. Something like if we bought the faucet, the plumber would after all this install it free of charge.
We like the way the faucet works and looks, but are a bit hestant a bout a direct replacement. The Moen site lists it as $363.50,
<http://www.moen.com/ecatalog/detail/extensa/chrome-one-handle-low-arc - pullout-kitchen-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER%3A7560C>
http://snipurl.com/ip9n8
but apparently it is possible to get it cheaper.
Does anyone have an opinion on the faucet or te problem?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

"A leak somewhere" is pretty vague. Someone needs to find out where it is leaking and then make a decision on what to do. I find a very slow leak can be detected best with a paper tissue as it absorbs the water easily. I would say that a plumber who thinks the solution is to replace a leaking fixture without knowing exactly what the problem is, is not worth calling again.

I agree with your statements. However, it is not a gush, just an annoying drip, and I don't know exactly where it comes from. It seems to be somewhere up in the body, but exactly where I cannot determine. As said, the cartridge was replaced, and now the movements of the faucet parts are much smoother, but the thing still seems to leak.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

no specific feedback on your problem, but are you sure it's the faucet and not the gasket between the faucet and sink? I know the one in my bathroom will leak if you splash water on the countertop, but if you are careful not to, the cabinet will remain dry as a bone. Fix would simply be to R&R the whole faucet, replacing the gasket.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There are a few p ossibilities. Crack in a casting, crack or split in the hose, etc.
What is important is the following If you need installation assistance,
replacement parts or have questions
regarding our warranty, please call our
Product Consultants at:
U.S.: 1-800-289-6636
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m.
In the manual, it states: Moen warrants to the original
consumer purchaser for as long as the original
consumer purchaser owns their home (the
Warranty Period for homeowners), that
this faucet will be leak- and drip-free during
normal use and all parts and finishes of this
faucet will be free from defects in material
and manufacturing workmanship. All other
purchasers (including purchasers for industrial,
commercial and business use) are warranted
for a period of 5 years from the original date
of purchase (the Warranty Period for
non-homeowners).
If this faucet should ever develop a leak or drip
during the Warranty Period, Moen will FREE OF
CHARGE provide the parts necessary to put the
faucet back in good working condition and will
replace FREE OF CHARGE any part or finish that
proves defective in material and manufacturing
workmanship, under normal installation,
use and service. Replacement parts may be
obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636
There may be some inconvenience, but they will solve the problem from what I've read.

Replace the plumber..
in2dadark wrote:

I agree and replace the faucet yourself. Exactly what I did and saved $100.
Check the vacuum breaker. Moen has a known issue on this one.

<snip>
What's a vacuum breaker and where is it?
--
Best regards
Han

Look at this page;
http://www.moen.com/buymoen/buyparts/parts.cfm?sku_RefnoB6316&CFIDu81663&CFTOKEN 9f5d112cc2bb39-7A0A2BAF-07CB-AB75-5E42ABBB87D971E7
Look at part # 100602 Notice that is a "conversion kit", meaning your earlier generation faucet had the issue described, and they changed it. Just call Moen, tell them what you have and they will hook you up.
HTH, Lefty

Thanks, Lefty!
--
Best regards
Han

Called 800 289 6636. I left a message for a callback, and within the announced time got a callback. After confirming that indeed it was a vacuumbreaker problem, I was given a choice of the replacement part free of charge or a totally new faucet for $50. I chose expedited (2-day) delivery, and expect a total charge of $64.20.
THANKS LEFTY!!!
--
Best regards
Han

erm, you are welcome
Lefty
Thanks all fro replying. I will call Moen tomorrow, especially if I can find the receipt.
--
Best regards
Han

Hmmm...
d'ya think that would extend to scratches?
the chrome on my bathroom faucet looks like hell, and I just realized that it is a Moen. There is some pitting right around the handle but it doesn't show with the handle installed.
I was going to change it out but SWMBO and I can't agree on a style...
nate
Bill Hall wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
BTSOM!!!
Mine were the gold plated ones! Give a call. Worst case is they say no.../...
Bill

That is the only thing good I can say about Moen. I bought a kitchen faucet once because it had unique features- filter, shower & pulled out of a socket- I was *never* impressed with its construction, and 2 yrs later when I called them for a 25cent rubber cover they told me they didn't sell parts, but would send me a new faucet. but they didn't make one with those features anymore.
So for a simple piece of rubber they lost a customer for life. I didn't even take the free faucet they offered me, preferring to support a company that makes parts for their products.
Jim