Is there a way to repair this thing or do I have to buy a whole module assembly? ($60.00!)
Pic of ice maker
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/bigelile/IM002279.jpg
Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 05:59:22p, Ron meant to say...

Make sure that there is no ice buildup on the line at the point of entryinto the freezer. This does happen, even when everything else seems to be okay. Your symptoms of first getting hollow cubes and then no cubes leads me to think that it was gradually freezing, first limiting the amount of water entering the ice maker, then finally freezing it off altogether.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Already have, clear.
Actually, when I checked the water inlet valve I disconnected the wires from the fridge and used 120V directly to it to test and fill the ice maker tray "manually". Everything worked fine and the cubes came out perfect.
So there is definitely a problem with the ice maker itself.
Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 06:29:23p, Ron meant to say...

Given everything you've said, it would probably be cheaper to replace the module than to have it repaired. Parts for almost everything these days are expensive, even if you repair it yourself. For example, I wanted to replace the detergent dispenser mechanism in a GE dishwasher. The part cost $80+. It was an entry level dishwasher and it made more sense to replace the whole thing.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Just took the module off the front of the ice maker, it's nothing but a "circuit board" and what I would call a solenoid.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/bigelile/IM002280.jpg
What a rip off for $60.00.
Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 07:09:06p, Ron meant to say...

Amana
-
replaced
then
came
the
I couldn't agree more, but a lot of these appliance companies are great rip off artists for parts. I don't know if you can buy just the circuit board, or what the cost might be for that. Probably not cheap in itself.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)
Ron wrote:

Not even a circuit board. An arrangement of switches driven by the small 'timer motor' (powered by two orange leads). The timer motor drives reduction gears, not visible, which drive the ice maker shaft. You might remove the timer moter via the two small phillips screws and give it a bench test. This removal may also give access to reduction gears. You could even do a slight lube with Pam or some non toxic lubricant. It looks like the two orange wires connect with just a 'push-on' which nicks the insulation to make contact. Easy to get a bad connection there. Also it appears the copper strips likely make contact with mating areas on the icemaker proper. Make sure these areas are clean and that the panel is securely tighened when you replace it to insure solid contact.
If this timer motor doesn't drive, you're SOL. <g>
For detail and pics on how home icemaker works:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/icemaker.htm
It is probably the valve and not the ice maker itself. This is generally located where the supply line connects to the refrig. I had one that did similar and I guess it first started with the 'partial fill' that caused the hollow cubes, then stopped filling altogether.
That part will probably cost you around $40 and is fairly easy to replace.

Which is the water inlet valve that has already been checked and works fine. BTW, as I wrote in my original post, I just replaced it last yr for about $12.00......$40.00!?
Sorry - missed that it had been replaced. You have a good parts supplier - I've replaced several of my own and friends and family and I think the best I got as around $30. I bumped that up some since it's been a couple years!
Then you probably have an icing problem at the inlet to the unit itself. Does the supply line run up the back of the refrig? Mine did and entered a slightly larger molded rubber part that slopped down thru the back if the frig into the ice maker. I assume it was of slightly larger diameter so all the water would drain out into the icemaker when the valve closed. The ice built up in that rubber part. However in my case it still ended up being the valve that wasn't closing all the way. I only noticed this because while I had it all torn apart I noticed it the valve was dripping every few seconds.
Try disconnecting the line between the valve and the maker at the valve end. See if you have a similar problem. The way these things are made, even a new valve could go bad in a year (planned obsolescence - it's probably out of warranty!)

Ron wrote:

Be aware that the icemaker timer motor drives the water inlet valve for a very short time, around seven seconds. If you 'manually filled' for a longer period of time, your water supply valve or water volume is suspect. mebbe some crud in supply line?

I gave it about 5 seconds (supposedly it's 7.5 seconds) and the cubes were almost full size, so, I guess I'm looking at a new module assembly since all the other parts work, just NO water.
Oh well, for now I'm headed to the Dollar Store for ice trays, money is short right now plus I can keep an eye out for a deal on a new one.
Thanks for your other replies also!

your cheapest fix is buy the icemaker kit. i believe you fill valve is bad, mine did exactly the same thing.
incidently if your feed water comes from a saddle valve open and shut it a couple times, the needle valve may be clogged with debris, thus preventing the water from filling

Where can I find a kit?
Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 09:28:10p, Ron meant to say...

    http://tinyurl.com/ytvjtx
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Thanks.....agggg, it would be nice if I *knew* what I needed. I have an Amanda fridge, but apparently the ice maker is some kind of "universal" ice maker built by Whirlpool, and installed in about 4 different brands of fridges, so I can't find an *exact* model number. Even though they are all "supposed" to work if the picture looks the same. The one difference is probably the electrical plug so I'm very hesitant to buy something online.
Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 09:52:10p, Ron meant to say...

I didn't notice...did they have a customer service line? You might try a call and describe what refrigerator you have. They may be able to advise.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

or buy kit from local appliance parts place, around here prices have dropped to compete with on line. take the model number and the old slide out module, match at store

Like I wrote earlier, I wish I knew exactly what I needed because they are VERY cheap on eBay. I have a feeling that they are ALL the same, but don't wanna take a chance on the plug being different. I have a couple of stores around here that sell leftover building materials from home builders, I'm gonna check there today.