Mobile Home Roof Question

I own a mobile home that was manufactured in 1990. This unit is 14 ft wide and 80 feet long. The metal roof is not the older "hump style" but instead is pitched like a regular house but only in metal. I am now noticing some spots that have surface rust starting and I am wondering if anyone has ever had a situation like this and maybe had their roof treated for the rust and then some final coating or paint? Since the roof is pitched the older type of mobile roof coating would just start to drip down the sides of the home if the Sun really heated the roof metal up. Any product suggestions? This home is in Indiana.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Lou
On Tue 03 Jun 2008 05:13:46p, Lou Leciejewski told us...

If you want to maintain the metal roof, then the source of rust must be treated to stop its progression before anything further is done. There are some products on the market that will chemically convert rust to a substance that prohibits futher rusting. IIRC, it changs the color to black, so you might need to repaint either the entire roof or at least those areas that were treated, if you can find a paint that matches your roof.
OTOH, we have a double-wide with a pitched roof of fiberglass shingles. If it were my home, I would probably invest in shingles to cover the metal roof.
The method you choose to correct the problem is almost directly related to how much money you want to spend. BTW, the roof coatings that are used on many mobiles are not inexpensive, even if you could use it on your roof.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Product is called "EXTEND". IIRC, it sprays on clear, but turns rust areas black. Sand first. Makes the rust a NON-rust substance right away. You then could top-coat with finish of your choice.
HTH
Van
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:13:46 GMT, Lou Leciejewski

If you really want to stop the rust try POR-15 http://www.por15.com /
Treat the areas of rust only as this product is expensive. Then use whatever product you decide on for the topcoat.

Excellent forum with lots of experence in this area ..... http://www.mobilehomerepair.com /

I may be wrong but I don't think the Kool-Seal product properly applied will do that. Once it dries it is set. As long as you don't slop it on so heavy that it runs before it dries you should be fine. You will pay more for the brand name but the product really is that much better!
Whatever you choose to paint it with I suggest you keep your weight on the "rafters" as you move about or use a scrap piece of plywood to distribute your weight between 2 of them.
--
Colbyt