Mobil 1 oil and generator

.

Those number are not up to date for one, that data is not the whole story, and does not cover new formulations on M1 or their 2 offerings of synthetic. I have neighbors in auto and synthetic racing oil sales that know amsoil, what they use is mobil 1 in their car. I have seen bearing lock tests at my home from my friend, of all oils and Royal purple won, but this guy says Mobil one is still overall better and sold Royal Purple. Racing is different. A most superior oil is Mobil

1, 0-30. Im not at all sying Amsoil is bad or inferior but these folks sell it and own cars I dream about, their hobby and life is cars, one is Chicagos auto columnist. I guess I would use Amsiol also if I was establised as using it but I am switching to 0-30 M1, I just bought a few cases for cars.
Reply to
ransley

ok , asked my freind that sells honda generators. he said to run new gen at least 15 hours on conventional oil before useing synthetic. has something to do with the rings seating in properly.synthetic must be too slick for rings to break in properly.

ds549

What does the owner's manual specify for oil?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

It's not a waste of money if you run a generator a lot and it doubles or triples the time between oil changes.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

seeing as how the synthetic is about $4-5 a quart and the real oil is .89cents, i'd say you'd have to run it about 6 times as long. And i don't thing running less than a quart of oil in a generator 600+ hours is a good idea. I've only seen (in the 30 years since it came out) ONE, yes, (1) legitamate reason to use synthetic oil. And that is to preserve the injectors in a 6 liter navistar diesel. And even then it's still a crap shoot.

Steve Barker

replying to Rich, Tracy E HOFFMAN wrote: I had met some chemists that work in the mobil 1 division and they told me some interesting things about it, when it was first designed they tested it to

200,000 it never broke down they were going to market it at 100,000 mile oil but the mfg got involved and they had to say follow mfg guidelines another interesting thing I went on vacation in iceland and was looking at the oil recommendation and it had a sticker on the motor mobil 1 only 50,000 mile oil change, Im guessing maybe they do that for waste since its an island and cost of disposal would be high
Reply to
Tracy E HOFFMAN

On the other hand, BMW pushed oil change intervals to 15K for a few years, before backing down to 10K. You would think there would be an incentive for them to make it as high as possible, since their new cars get free oil changes for 50K miles. That's 5 changes vs 3 that BMW has to pay for. So I figured they must have seen something negative from 15K, but then who knows.

Reply to
trader_4

It may be good forever but you make more profit if people change more often.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The oil is probably good for that, but maybe gas contaminates the oil. Just a few drope each time the engine is stopped and started. If ran off propane or such, the gas contmination would not be a problem.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The right way would be to do an oil analysis every X miles. Driving conditions vary so much we'd all be on different schedules for changes.

We used to do that with hydraulic units on the machines. Cheaper to pay for an analysis than replace 55 gallons of oil that is still good.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

for big machines and maybe a fleet of vehicles, but for a single car, it would probably cost way more to test it than just change it and the filter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You can get a test for about $25. Problem is, it takes a couple of days to get results. Draw a sample, mail it to a lab. That would be difficult to schedule at a dealer, impossible for a Jiffy Lube to stay in business. I have no idea of the investment or training to do it on the spot.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Kits run $35 to $85 and one test doesn't tell you a lot. You are looking for changes - so you need a base-line first. Cheaper on most cars to just change the oilevery year or 12000 Km with a mid-priced synthetic. Costs me about $50 on the Kia 3.3 and just a bit less on the 4.0 Ranger

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The lab equipment required aint cheap - - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

  Funny this should come up just now . Tomorrow we'll be using my wife's 25% discount for working Thanksgiving weekend at Walmart . Some of the items I plan to stock up on are motor oil and ATF . Need some gear oil too . I'll be doing some axle work (re-gearing) and trans repairs on my truck soon , might as well get the best deal I can on fluids . And stick it to Walmart as much as I can before she quits - which if I get my wish will be before the end of the year .
Reply to
Terry Coombs