Mobil 1 oil and generator

Page 1 of 2
What are the opinions of using the Mobil 1 5w30 in a small (5 kw) home generator ?
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in everything I own that uses oil, except for my small diesel tractor which gets Mobil 1 5w40. This includes a couple generators, a pressure washer, riding mower, vac bagger, chipper, truck, etc.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

It don't have to be Mobil, many oil makers now have full synthetic oil just as good, and cheaper I might add.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Think its a little overkill. But what the hell. Don't think I own any gas engines that have ever blown up or had problems with blow by. Just changing oil at required times is the key to keep engine running for ever.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Do you _need_ a multigrade in it? Is 5w30 specified for it? How old is it?
--John

It is new and never had any oil in it (maybe factory test ?)
Book lists 30W, 10W30 regular oil and 5W30 synthetic.
Book says that below 40 deg F it may be hard to start if 30 W oil is used. I live where it may get to 10 deg F or higher when I plan on needing the generator to power the house.
I was thinking on the Mobil 1 might be a beter oil as the generator might only be used once every year or two for actual power, but would be cranked up every couple of weeks just to keep fresh gas in the system. I will be using the Stay-bil long term storage addaitve to the gas.
As it only takes one quart to fill it, the cost is not that much no mater what kind of oil I use. I was thinking that Mobil 1 might not break down as fast as regular oil would over a long period of time between changes. It would not have that much actual run time, but a lot of just sitting around.

I'm using regular 10W30. Feel same as you in that the recommended 30W will be too viscous if I need generator on a cold day. Believe manual says to check oil level more often if you use multigrade.
I like Castrol GT 10w30. Works nicely for me. On my last truck, Castrol was the only brand that quieted the piston rod knock for more than two days.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Motor oil in an internal combustion engine is changed mostly because it becomes contaminated not because it breaks down. Thats why you still need to change synthetics when used in an engine. If you were running it in say a gear box you could practically run it forever.

Given the small added cost for a single quart, why not?

To be sure, why not ask the customer service people at the generator and/or engine manufacturer? They will likely OK it,
Joe

It will oil quicker when cold, not break down as fast from heat and give less wear, Since depending on motor type you get from 350 - 2500 hours off a 3600 rpm gen you need the best oil. Mobil 1 is a good idea.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a Honda EU2000i. Break in using dino oil -- I used Castrol GTX 10w30. After break in, I've been using AMSOIL 100 Percent Synthetic 10W-30. Shortly before I got the genny (about 1.5 years ago), I did a bit of web research and made the decision based on that. I don't know if anything has changed (especially Mobil 1 vs Amsoil) since then.

Mobil has the $ to pay the best chemists $ can buy, Amsoil is about marketing.

This site says something a little different:
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/nothing_outperforms_mobil1.htm
Rich wrote:

Yep.
And here's the data, published by an unaffiliated source, that let's the Amsoil president make those claims:
http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0304vwt_synthetic_oils /

Those number are not up to date for one, that data is not the whole story, and does not cover new formulations on M1 or their 2 offerings of synthetic. I have neighbors in auto and synthetic racing oil sales that know amsoil, what they use is mobil 1 in their car. I have seen bearing lock tests at my home from my friend, of all oils and Royal purple won, but this guy says Mobil one is still overall better and sold Royal Purple. Racing is different. A most superior oil is Mobil 1, 0-30. Im not at all sying Amsoil is bad or inferior but these folks sell it and own cars I dream about, their hobby and life is cars, one is Chicagos auto columnist. I guess I would use Amsiol also if I was establised as using it but I am switching to 0-30 M1, I just bought a few cases for cars.
Erma1ina wrote:

Oops! Wrong link.
The data in the above link was for "Amsoil(old)", here's the link that contains data for both "old" and "new" Amsoil -- it's this one that shows "Amsoil(new)" beating Mobil 1 in EVERY measure.
http://repairfaq.org/filipg/AUTO/F_oil_facts.html
I used AMSOIL After break in But used a quart had for my car Think I'll use this next time Formula 4-Stroke 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil (ASO) is formulated specifically to meet the special needs of today's high-tech air- and water-cooled fourstroke motorized scooters, offering unsurpassed wear protection and friction reduction for longer equipment life and cooler operating temperatures. exceptional shear stability ensures consistent viscosity protection A special anti-corrosion additive package provides long-term protection during periods of inactivity and storage Pour Point C (F) (ASTM D-97) -38 (-36) Flash Point C (F) (ASTM D-92) 232 (450) Four Ball Wear test, Scar, mm 0.40
Spud

why waste the money?