Mobil 1 oil and generator

What are the opinions of using the Mobil 1 5w30 in a small (5 kw) home generator ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in everything I own that uses oil, except for my small diesel tractor which gets Mobil 1 5w40. This includes a couple generators, a pressure washer, riding mower, vac bagger, chipper, truck, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

It don't have to be Mobil, many oil makers now have full synthetic oil just as good, and cheaper I might add.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Think its a little overkill. But what the hell. Don't think I own any gas engines that have ever blown up or had problems with blow by. Just changing oil at required times is the key to keep engine running for ever.

Reply to
evodawg

Do you _need_ a multigrade in it? Is 5w30 specified for it? How old is it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

To be sure, why not ask the customer service people at the generator and/or engine manufacturer? They will likely OK it,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It is new and never had any oil in it (maybe factory test ?)

Book lists 30W, 10W30 regular oil and 5W30 synthetic.

Book says that below 40 deg F it may be hard to start if 30 W oil is used. I live where it may get to 10 deg F or higher when I plan on needing the generator to power the house.

I was thinking on the Mobil 1 might be a beter oil as the generator might only be used once every year or two for actual power, but would be cranked up every couple of weeks just to keep fresh gas in the system. I will be using the Stay-bil long term storage addaitve to the gas.

As it only takes one quart to fill it, the cost is not that much no mater what kind of oil I use. I was thinking that Mobil 1 might not break down as fast as regular oil would over a long period of time between changes. It would not have that much actual run time, but a lot of just sitting around.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm using regular 10W30. Feel same as you in that the recommended 30W will be too viscous if I need generator on a cold day. Believe manual says to check oil level more often if you use multigrade.

Reply to
Frank

Motor oil in an internal combustion engine is changed mostly because it becomes contaminated not because it breaks down. Thats why you still need to change synthetics when used in an engine. If you were running it in say a gear box you could practically run it forever.

Reply to
George

It will oil quicker when cold, not break down as fast from heat and give less wear, Since depending on motor type you get from 350 - 2500 hours off a 3600 rpm gen you need the best oil. Mobil 1 is a good idea.

Reply to
ransley

I have a Honda EU2000i. Break in using dino oil -- I used Castrol GTX

10w30. After break in, I've been using AMSOIL 100 Percent Synthetic 10W-30. Shortly before I got the genny (about 1.5 years ago), I did a bit of web research and made the decision based on that. I don't know if anything has changed (especially Mobil 1 vs Amsoil) since then.
Reply to
Erma1ina

Given the small added cost for a single quart, why not?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mobil has the $ to pay the best chemists $ can buy, Amsoil is about marketing.

Reply to
ransley

why waste the money?

Steve Barker

This site says something a little different:

Rich

And here's the data, published by an unaffiliated source, that let's the Amsoil president make those claims:

Erma1ina

Oops! Wrong link.

The data in the above link was for "Amsoil(old)", here's the link that contains data for both "old" and "new" Amsoil -- it's this one that shows "Amsoil(new)" beating Mobil 1 in EVERY measure.

Erma1ina

I like Castrol GT 10w30. Works nicely for me. On my last truck, Castrol was the only brand that quieted the piston rod knock for more than two days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I feel that the only real objective answer to that comes from scientific testing and that is generally only done by the manufacturer. No one else is likely to have tested various oils in that generator. That said, it seems like a pretty good idea to me. When cold it sure makes it easier to start than when using straight 30W.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I used AMSOIL After break in But used a quart had for my car Think I'll use this next time=20 Formula 4-Stroke=AE 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil=20

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke=AE 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil (ASO)=20 is formulated specifically to meet the special needs of today's = high-tech air- and water-cooled fourstroke motorized scooters, offering = unsurpassed wear protection and friction reduction for longer equipment = life and cooler operating temperatures. exceptional shear stability ensures consistent viscosity protection=20 A special anti-corrosion additive package provides long-term protection = during periods of inactivity and storage Pour Point =B0C (=B0F) (ASTM D-97) -38 (-36) Flash Point =B0C (=B0F) (ASTM D-92) 232 (450) Four Ball Wear test, Scar, mm 0.40=20

Spud

>=20

Reply to
spud42