Mixing wood: bad taste or not?

My kitchen and dining rooom have 3" oak hardwood floors. I want to replace the carpet in two adjoining rooms. However, I want to use hickory with a lot of character. I'll probably demarc the rooms with boundary of really dark wood or maybe not -- just ttransition abruptly from oak to hickory.
The question to the gruop is: is this tasteful? I've heard that having one floor type makes the rooms look bigger but right now they are carpet and wood so the "feel" shouldn't change....
Opinions?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's your home, what do you think? OK go with that.
I have seen some combinations in homes that looked great, and others that just did not work. How it will look is dependent on a large number of factors including the walls the furniture windows, all kinds of things,
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I might want to sell it someday so I'm concerned about doing something stupid. Thanks!
Why would you want to do something stupid in preparation for selling your house?
I dont know of any wood that tastes good. Then again, I dont eat wood, I eat normal food like that sold in the grocery store. If you are so deaparate that you have to eat wood, there should be a charity in your area that can get you some food.
On 27 Apr 2005 06:19:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The place where you're buying the wood might have finished samples you could put next to each other, to get an idea.
I would probably stay with 3" for the new stuff. I'm not sure about a dark demarcation -- my initial thought was that, from outside the room, and with the room's door closed, you should only see the oak.
Like I said, that was just the first thing that popped in my mind.
Thanks for not being an wise pair of buttocks like other posters.
On 27 Apr 2005 18:52:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

To add something positive..........A friend of mine told me of a quote from a book he read once,............... " Taste is what's left when all imagination is gone." I hope that's at least close anyway. I can agree with it and it's your house. Your imaginationis what is most important.
I rather like your original thought. dark and light wood sound like a very stark and nice contrast to me...........I'm rather bold in my "taste" and I suppose my imagination requires extra sharp contrasts..............LOL I would, if my budget allowed for a huge makeover, would love to use patterned flooring with wood/woodlike products. Probably will lay the simple floor, but at an angle to the room when I do some hardwood type stuff in my den too.
Make it fun, and make it yours!
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

Check out some mixed woods here: http://www.velvitoil.com/Floors.htm http://www.velvitoil.com/House.HTML
Done properly, mixed wood is elegant and beautiful. I've been through Dan's house and there are many types of wood in the house and it all looks good.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

You can accomplish pretty much the same thing if you start with unfinished wood, by staining the whole floor the ligher color, wiping it up, and then re-staining the dark sections, before putting poly over the whole thing. Or you could just use one wood/stain and put it down in a herringbone pattern, and depend on the grain and light to make it show differently.

I like mixed woods but like any other combination of color/texture etc you can get a really fabulous result or a totally hideous result. If you are like me and don't have an "eye" for the end result it would pay to get someone who does.