Mixing wood: bad taste or not?

My kitchen and dining rooom have 3" oak hardwood floors. I want to replace the carpet in two adjoining rooms. However, I want to use hickory with a lot of character. I'll probably demarc the rooms with boundary of really dark wood or maybe not -- just ttransition abruptly from oak to hickory.

The question to the gruop is: is this tasteful? I've heard that having one floor type makes the rooms look bigger but right now they are carpet and wood so the "feel" shouldn't change....

Opinions?

Reply to
emptyshell

It's your home, what do you think? OK go with that.

I have seen some combinations in homes that looked great, and others that just did not work. How it will look is dependent on a large number of factors including the walls the furniture windows, all kinds of things,

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I might want to sell it someday so I'm concerned about doing something stupid. Thanks!

Reply to
emptyshell

Why would you want to do something stupid in preparation for selling your house?

Reply to
sleepdog

I dont know of any wood that tastes good. Then again, I dont eat wood, I eat normal food like that sold in the grocery store. If you are so deaparate that you have to eat wood, there should be a charity in your area that can get you some food.

Reply to
TPutmann

The place where you're buying the wood might have finished samples you could put next to each other, to get an idea.

I would probably stay with 3" for the new stuff. I'm not sure about a dark demarcation -- my initial thought was that, from outside the room, and with the room's door closed, you should only see the oak.

Like I said, that was just the first thing that popped in my mind.

Reply to
Hopkins

Thanks for not being an wise pair of buttocks like other posters.

Reply to
emptyshell

To add something positive..........A friend of mine told me of a quote from a book he read once,............... " Taste is what's left when all imagination is gone." I hope that's at least close anyway. I can agree with it and it's your house. Your imaginationis what is most important.

I rather like your original thought. dark and light wood sound like a very stark and nice contrast to me...........I'm rather bold in my "taste" and I suppose my imagination requires extra sharp contrasts..............LOL I would, if my budget allowed for a huge makeover, would love to use patterned flooring with wood/woodlike products. Probably will lay the simple floor, but at an angle to the room when I do some hardwood type stuff in my den too.

Make it fun, and make it yours!

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Check out some mixed woods here:

Done properly, mixed wood is elegant and beautiful. I've been through Dan's house and there are many types of wood in the house and it all looks good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can accomplish pretty much the same thing if you start with unfinished wood, by staining the whole floor the ligher color, wiping it up, and then re-staining the dark sections, before putting poly over the whole thing. Or you could just use one wood/stain and put it down in a herringbone pattern, and depend on the grain and light to make it show differently.

Reply to
Goedjn

I like mixed woods but like any other combination of color/texture etc you can get a really fabulous result or a totally hideous result. If you are like me and don't have an "eye" for the end result it would pay to get someone who does.

Reply to
George