mixing wire sizes

Not by any inspector that knows the code. Just be sure you twist it up tight before you wrap it around the screw and you are perfectly legal.

I agree on the box being too small if thy wont fit, but some (many) people dont know how to fold the wires for a proper fit. Most just jam them in any old way. I once saw a homeowner smashing the wires into the box with a hammer, while i was working on a remodel job. I felt like telling him what I thought about that, but he was a real asshole to work for anyhow, so I didnt need more to argue with the asshole about. I still wonder how many breakers blew when he powered up that circuit.