Mixing wall surfaces

I am remodeling GFs 50's era bathroom.The walls are drywall with about 1/4-3/8" (varies) of plaster on top. I removed some tile and need to put up new wallboard on lower portions of the wall. She wants to paint the walls. What is the best way of getting a smooth surface. I had thought that I would just shim 5/8" greenboard but now I'm wondering about the joints. Better to just remove the drywall/plaster from the entire wall? Drywall and more plaster? Thanks.
MH
I would take the whole wall down and start over. It may be easier in the long run and it will be a lot easier the next time someone wants to work on the wall. I suspect it will also end up looking better.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Lets see here . 1 You know ZERO 2 Is she your mom ,or a customer 3 If a customer LEAVE.......before she shoots you,,,,,,,,,,,, 4 Get pro advise son, A bid x4 by reputable guys. NOT YOU.... 5 Learning while being paid entitles you to competitve wages ? , ins, guarntees, taxes, that you dont have? 6 wake up........... 7 research