Mixing Drywall Types

I am doing some drywall patching. I have some greenboard lying around. Can I use it to patch some holes where there is regular drywall? I am smooth coating everything with hot mud. Will it absorb paint differently than regular drywall and look different?

Reply to
Michael Roback

Somewhat, but if you use a genuine drywall primer it won't make any difference in the finish paint. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I have done that, and the only problem I have is that I don't do a fully professional job of finishing. The result isn't as smooth as it should be, and that is me, not the green board.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

If you skim coat you can use anything. I just skim coated about 90 SF of old sheetrock that I removed 3 layers of wallpaper from. What a pain and a horrible result? But I was advised to prime it with a sealer stain blocker. I don't know if I needed a stain sealer but the results are good. I am happy.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

If you are skimcoating it, it makes no difference. If you do not skim coat it might make a difference if there is no texturing in the paint as even using different brands of drywall have different textures. If you use a thick paint and a heavy nap roller I doubt there would be a problem if you take your time with the mudding job. Take your sweet time and put 4 or 5 thin coats and end up using a very wide blade for your last 2 coats to blend it well with the old drywall. After the first coat I like to use lite-weight compound. It is much easier to work with and I only use the powder mix. Lately my work has been up to professional quality. Now I have to work on the speed!

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony