Mixer Motors

Don't ever buy a motor without seeing it run. Don't ask me how I know.
I have an older style cement mixer. The bowl is 24" diameter at its widest, and 24" deep, although conical somewhat.
It has a big ring and pinion gear, not this modern wimpy CNC cut teeth and cogs.
Questions: What size motor should I be looking for? What RPM? Fully enclosed?
TIA
Steve
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:05:59 -0700, "Steve B"

I'll stick with what I told you last time. A 1725, 1/2hp motor with a 2" pulley will keep it going forever.
I suspect a 1/4 would work if you had one laying around.
Jim

I got you the first time. And then, I called the motor store, and the guy had me up in the 2 hp. range. So, I thought I'd check back here just to make sure. I find it amazing sometimes that these people who work at these places don't really know much.

Steve-
You considering the advice of the guy at the motor store over a.h.r?
A 2 hp motor is way too large. I'm with Jim...... 1/2 hp.
Did you check the Canoga link?
cheers Bob
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:59:18 -0700, "Steve B"

Why don't you find something well made like what you have at a store or website and see what motor comes with it?
-snip-

Hehe-- There's a thought. I'll bet it had a 3-4HP gas motor on it when it was new.
Kinda like this one :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hKvi0-GBNw

Jim

Holy crap, Batman. 2HP?! I hope that isn't the one that doesn't run. Is that even 110?
I think you mentioned last time that you have a new pulley on yours-- remember that you're trying to get in the vicinity of 20rpms from the drum. [that's a guess - I welcome correction] The original cast pulley was likely in the 18" range-- geared down to the cog that drives the drum around. If that big pulley is smaller it will work the motor harder, drive the drum faster & not mix as well. You can compensate with a smaller motor pulley, but it might be more likely to slip when you dump something wet on it by accident.
Jim