Mitsubishi generators????

Hi all,

After going electricity-less for >48 hours post-Isabel (not as bad as some neighbors who still don't have power), I am contemplating buying a generator. Surfing the web, I noticed that

seems to have pretty good prices (at least I think they're good prices) on Mitsubishi generators. Has anyone ever dealt with southwestfasteners or had or heard of Mitsubishi generators?

On the same general subject, since we have propane service to our home and a

500 gallon LP tank, I was tinking of getting a porpane generator. Other than an additional cost, are there any disadvantages to propane? I figure, I won't have to keep a stock of fresh gasoline onn hand.

Thanks in advance.

Bart

Reply to
BRN

They are as good as most brands. Also check Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool for comparisons. The biggest part of the generator will be the connection to your homes electrical service. Unless your just going to run some cords to the equipment you need to run. I would recommend that you look into 1800 rpm generators rather than the 3600 rpm ones. I have not had much luck with Generacs, but that is my experience.

LP as a fuel is fine as long as you remember that LP or Natural gas derates the output. There is a derate depending on your altitude as well. Not sure if this is an issue.

Reply to
albown

propane

benefits.........(in your case) It shares an on hand fuel source. Propane doesn't go stale like gasoline. The available fuel supply is large.(500gallon) That makes for a long available run time. good low temp starting characteristics.

problems. Generator is derated for propane operation. It shares an on had fuel source.

There is no guarantee that the fuel will be there depending on your propane buying habits.

If an outage sets in when you only have 10Gallon left in the tank, it better be a short outage or you will be in the dark pretty quickly. In that situation, it would be better to leave the genny off and save the gas you have left for cooking.

You would want to keep a good percentage of gas in the tank at any one time. Which would basically restrict the useable capacity of the tank.

Or you could get a smaller 200Gallon tank and dedicate that to the generator. That, or be prepared to make an emergency call to the propane dealer if an outage happens at an inopportune time.

Reply to
N9WOS

Buy a Honda 3000 watt super quiet gasoline generator

About $1700, delivered

Inverter type, RMP based on draw, not high or low..

19 - 20 hrs on under 3 gallons on fuel

Store 15 gallons in shed, with Stabil.. Use in lawn mower during year..

Super quiet, you have have a normal conversation standing RIGHT OVER the generator

No one will know you have it, buy the sound..But you will

I added an seperate box so I dont back feed the line..

LOve that Honda!

Reply to
BigAl

We live off the grid and have been using a non-GFI, electric-start

6500-watt Mitsubishi from Southwest Fastener for the past year. It has about 550 hours on it right now. The only problem occurred around 100 hours when the adjustment screw on one push rod got loose, causing the rod to bend (loss of power, obviously). We pounded it straight again and have not had a problem since. I have started it in temperatures down to -20F, but that is about as cold as I would push it. It runs 8-10 hours on a 5-gallon tank, depending on the load. All in all, I've been happy with it.

rorik

Reply to
Rorik Peterson

I just bought the 5800 reu from SouthWest. I had (one) very good experience with them. I haven't had it long but it appears to be everything it was advertised to be. I still believe that it is an excellent choice for the pricing. My only complaint is the skimpy users manual but you can figure everything out without it. Of course I have put no hours on it to date!

Reply to
GlennT