Mitsubishi Big Screen

Hi:
Anyone have any idea why my big screen picture is jumping like crazy when the show has a white background? This happens everytime with a white background show or commerical but not with any other show. I wonder if one of the guns is going bad or will an adjustment fix this?
It is a 50" big screen that is about 9 years old.
Thanks for any ideas or repairs that you know of.
Scott
On 31 Aug 2003, SEPrince1 wrote:

All channels, or just some?
If just some, are you on cable? (not dish or antenna)
If just some and on cable, they could be technical morons and have some of their video modulators overdriven, your set would be having a reaction to excessive white levels and/or clipping.
Broadcast and satellite don't generally have those problems (they are not technical morons <g>)
HTH.
--
TP

Hi:
I have basic cable and its not on all channels. Just when I am watching shows or commericals with really white backgrounds. Seems like the picture jumps like crazy.
Thanks, Scott
On 01 Sep 2003, SEPrince1 wrote:

Bingo.
Your cable company needs somebody working at their "headend" who knows how to set video modulation levels, they obviously don't as of now.
They're overdriving the video, your TV is reacting to excessive white levels, that's what's making the amplifiers/AGC circuits go nuts.
Historically, cable people are woefully uneducated about setting modulation levels. The technical end of cable is ALL about meeting FCC sanctions concerning RF (radio frequency) levels, they concentrate 100% on that, because the FCC can shut you down if you have excessive problems. They TOTALLY ignore the audio/video quality of the signals they distribute, this comes from the inbred disregard for customer satisfaction that cable had had since day one. For decades they were the only game in town, take it or leave it. Satellite companies understand the concept of providing a quality product to their customers, they have people who know how to maintain the entire setup, not just the things they need to pass FCC inspections.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

On 01 Sep 2003, Art Todesco wrote:

LOL! That's ALWAYS their stock answer! A typical cable company customer service operator is tunnel vision trained, they know that the problem MUST be in your home, they have no conception that the guy(s) working over in the headend could be screwing something up that affects every single customer.
Never have so few done so little to screw up so many. <g>
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

Hi:
The model isa VS 5061. I will call the cable company tomarrow. I think I have time warner cable service. I am hoping this is the problem
Thanks for all your help.
Scott
On 01 Sep 2003, Jerry Levine wrote:

:-) Many years ago, people weren't watching movies with audio quality like they are today! AGC circuits do exactly what you described, and in the process they collapse the dynamic range of the sound ("DR"=difference in dB between the softest and loudest audio levels). People don't necessarily -want- that to happen in most cases, they want the quiet stuff quiet and they want to be "blown away" by the explosions, car wrecks, etc.
The set manufacturers are trying to give the users good audio quality, and they feel it's not their job to compensate for the moron at the cable company!
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

Its called AVC, Tom.

I-zheet M'drurz wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Yeah why is it cable can't get it together? Can't sync the sound and excessive radiation. All that RED radiation, sparkling like crazy. Getting ready to switch over to satellite.
Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.
On 01 Sep 2003, Rich wrote:

I don't know about the sound sync problems, that likely isn't coming from cable, they generally don't do much audio processing. The "red radiation" you speak of -- kind of a red edge on the right side of images??? If so, that's a classic sign of overdriven white levels, that's how many TVs react to excessive contrast. I just wrote an explanation in the reply to the original poster, so I won't type it again here.
--
TP