mites

hey, everyone,
we just got a new kitten. unfortunately, our house had a mite problem before we got the kitten and we still need to eradicate them. we were spraying our house for the mites with permithrin once a week and it seemed to be working. i've never had a kitten in my care before. is it safe to spray our house with the kitten there if we put him in a separate room for a few hours? we think he's about 9 weeks old.
--a.b.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message

No. Permethrin is nasty stuff and very toxic. You use it for clothes when you travel to place with falciparunam malaria and it apparently stays around for up to two weeks in fabric.
Talk to an extermninator about less toxic options.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tracy) wrote in message

thanks! i will.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message

anybody know of a good insecticide/remedy for getting rid of mites in our home that won't harm our 9 week old kitten? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
plant mites or animal mites. Call you veternarian
On 19 May 2004 11:20:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (A.B. Normal 65) wrote:
:) snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message
:) > > > hey, everyone, :) > > > :) > > :) > > No. Permethrin is nasty stuff and very toxic. You use it for clothes :) > > when you travel to place with falciparunam malaria and it apparently :) > > stays around for up to two weeks in fabric. :) > > :) > > Talk to an extermninator about less toxic options. :) > :) > thanks! i will. :) :) anybody know of a good insecticide/remedy for getting rid of mites in :) our home that won't harm our 9 week old kitten? any suggestions would :) be greatly appreciated.
need to have the mites identified to figure out where the source may be and address them there. The permethrin is safe for the kitten as long as you follow label directions.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Again, Permethrin is not safe to use with a nine week kitten in the house. Please try to find an alternative and you're more likely to find one by talking to an exterminator than on a cat newsgroup.
You need to find out what kind of mites you have and then decide why they are there. If you don't address the cause treating for them may well be a temporary measure.
My trusty Pest Control Operations book (Bennett et al, Purdue University, ISBN 150043511) suggests DriDie or Drione dust as an alternative to pyrethrins. These are formulations of silica aerogels so are unlikely to be toxic to your kitten.
RB
A.B. Normal 65 wrote:

:) My trusty Pest Control Operations book (Bennett et al, Purdue :) University, ISBN 150043511) suggests DriDie or Drione dust as an :) alternative to pyrethrins. These are formulations of silica aerogels so :) are unlikely to be toxic to your kitten.
Do you mean TriDie, which is discontinued and is an aerosol version of Drione which is still available, but isn't a replacement of pyrethrin...it is 1% pyrethrin, which makes it have quick results. You might be confusing pyrethrins with pyrethroids.
Lar
DriDie: www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/ DiaEarthPestCtrl.pdf
Lar wrote:

:) DriDie: :) www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/ DiaEarthPestCtrl.pdf
Just goes to show ya learn something new everyday. Must of typo'd it in an earlier search...16 years in the biz and have never heard of it. :P
Lar