Miter Cuts on Oak faced plywood?

I am going to build a bookcase out of oak faced plywood, with oak trim.

The only place where the plywood edge will be exposed is where the sides meet the top. Is it possible to miter them at 45, so as to have no edge showing? Will the veneer survive a 45 cut?

I suppose the alternatives are veneering the exposed edge, or using solid oak for the top. I have never veneered before; how foolproof is it?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I just recently did the same thing and the 45 worked for me. I did mess up the first 45 because I used a rough blade and it chipped. Made a second cut with a plywood blade and it went smooth, then I cut to size my lengths. the

45's look good and looks like real oak :)

As for the veneering.....I never tried it, but I could stay at a Holiday Inn Express and then give it a try :)

Reply to
Made In America

Try "scoring" the cut with a razor knife, on the outermost point of the miter. Use a square to do this, as you just want to cut the veneer. Use a framing square to "ride" the saw's shoe against, staying just a "hair" beyond your "scored" cut line.

Reply to
jwelsh

Miter joints are ok, but they are difficult to perform cleanly.

It might be more normal to "edge band" the exposed plywood edges with a glued on strip of real oak. The top can be made to overhang the carcase sides and front this way.

Reply to
Dan G