Missing tiles in shower

We've been in our new house for about a month now...a couple of weeks ago we were removing the old shower doors and eight or so of the shower tiles came off of the wall (the wall opposite the shower head).

They've been off for two weeks or so. Is this something I need to replace ASAP? Could it cause mold or damage to the wall etc...?

We definitely want to do the bathroom over but most likely it won't happen for a couple of years. Should I just go and buy some similarly colored tiles and put them up in place of the missing tiles? The eight tiles that came off are all right next to/on top of each other.

This will be our first tiling job, so any advice on replacing those tiles is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Mash

On 8/17/2008 7:35 PM Mash spake thus:

Yes, you ought to replace them ASAP. Since you're planning on redoing it anyhow, it won't much matter if you don't do a perfect job. Replacing tiles is pretty easy, and you might find it fun. If the missing tiles were all in the "field", you won't even have to cut any tiles.

Tips: Clean the wall thoroughly of old thinset or mortar. Use standard thinset (latex modified) to stick the new tiles on. Wait until set, then grout. Wait until grout cures, then seal the grout. That's it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Aug 17, 10:42=EF=BF=BDpm, David Nebenzahl wrote= :

e president, and I

e do

untill you replace tiles and grout tape plastic securely over the area or water will damage the surface tile is glued to.

fix IMMEDIATELY!

Reply to
hallerb

If the wall board where the tiles are missing from has been getting wet, you could be redoing the bathroom sooner than you think.

If the wallboard has been getting wet, then the walboard behind the rest of the tiles may be wet also and may not be able to support the weight of the tile much longer.

When I first moved in we had plans to redo the bathroom "eventually" but soon realized that due to bad grout joints, the wall board had basically turned to mush behind the tiles and you could flex the wall by pushing on it. It looked fine, but had no strength at all.

At a minimum, duct tape a piece of plastic, like from a garbage bag, over the exposed wallboard ASAP.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thank for the replies. This morning I duct taped a piece of plastic over the space. I'll go out and get some cheap replacement tiles and put them up. DerbyDad I think you might be right, we will probably be redoing the bathroom sooner than we think. Even before this hole the tiles didn't seem to be holding well....in fact even on the bathroom floor if your feet are sticky some of the tiles will come up when you step on them...fixer-uppers are fun aren't they ;)

And you're right David, I will not have to cut any tiles, which makes it much easier

Thanks

Reply to
Mash