missing shingles-serious?

I just noticed my roof is missing some shingles. I do not know how long they have been missing, but is it something that needs to be fixed ASAP? I am waiting to see if this is covered on my home owner warranty.

Thanks!

Eddie G

Reply to
Eddie G

Yes! This is an extreme emergency! Get out of your house immediately. It could blow up if you dont have it fixed. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If it tends to rain where you live, you want to fix quickly- at least secure a tarp up there. Since you don't know when they came off (probably in high wind) try to check inside to see if there is water damage- dark stains on rafters bebeath missing shingles, bubbles/stains in ceiling under any possible leaks. If it is really just a few shingles missing, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix- and estimate should be free. No idea if your warranty will cover this. I'm wondering, though, about the condition of your roof- you may find that it is deteriorating and in need of replacement.

Reply to
Sev

The roof is almost 10 years old. It looks like there is something on the roof under where the shingles were. Not that I will let this go more than a few days, but isn't there something on the roof between the wood and the shingles?

I'll check for water stains when I get home later tonight.

Thanks!!

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G

There is tar paper or felt but it won't stop much rain from getting in.

Reply to
Art

Great...I'm outside Philly and we are getting 6 inches of snow tomorrow. :-(

Reply to
Eddie G

The good new is, snow does not come through. Only when it melts!

Shingles overlap so you may still have some protection if they are in individual spots versus a large patch.

Don't count of a lot of help from the homeowners warranty if you are talking about one of those third party deals. I never hear of good results. OTOH, they may give you a good enough patch job to buy you time to have it done right by a reputable roofer.

I wish we were getting 6" of snow. We may be getting 14"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The guy on channel 2 in Baltimore says it's going through NC and SC and won't get here, let alone to you. Of course he says everyone else says otherwise.

I thought hte felt worked well as a roof, at least until it got damaged by wind. Am I wrong? Snow storms aren't usually very windy.

mm