missing floor tile - fill with epoxy?

Hi all...

I have a 1" gap between my bathroom door frame and the tile floor. The floor is going to be replace in a few years so I'm just looking for a quick fix. I'm thinking about filling it with a paintable epoxy. What are your thoughts? Any recommendations on the type of epoxy?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Reply to
Pearl Diver

why not a self stick vinyl tile cut into strip to fit?

easy to remove later and now leveling needed

Reply to
hallerb

Grout?

Reply to
Norminn

The problem with epoxy is you may not be able to get it off again when it's time to re-do the floor. Use the expoxy (or something else) to MAKE a separate tile, on wax paper or something, and then stick that in place. Or try going to a tile shop and see if they'll just GIVE you one tile left over from another job.

If they will, make sure you go back to them when you DO replace the floor.

Reply to
Goedjn

Do't know if this suggestion helps because in my case, I was patching a hole that I was then going to cover with other flooring, but I had that situation where about half a tile broke off and disappeared (long before I lived here).

I pasted over the hole with something called "Patch-it" (I think that's the name). It was in the same section as the spackle. I was a really stinky rubbery spackle-type stuff that dries in an easily removable fashion later on. It really just crumbles back away when you make an effort to dig it out. With a little extra elbow grease you could certainly remove it cleanly when the need arose.

Maybe you could do that and then cover it with one of those 1 1/2 or

2-inch flooring transition strip -- either the uneven (thicker on one side than the other like for carpet) or a completely level one that works for transitioning between two different but level flooring surfaced. (Sorry for my horrible terminology on the "flooring transition strip;" it probably has a better name than that, but I'm nor sure what it is!)
Reply to
Beantown