Misleading TV Ads

Page 1 of 2
For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell "Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to have around the house or workshop.
But, what gets to me is that the ad states that the LEDs will give you over 100,000 hours of reliable light.
That, no doubt is the expected life of the LEDs themselves, before they "burn out", but there's no way on G_d's green earth that the batteries in that small handle will keep the LEDs lit that long.
So, isn't it very "false advertising" to state it that way without any mention of the "battery life".
I have no doubt that SWMBO and a lot of other non-techie types would think that light could last them "for life".
They say it the same way on their web page, with nary a mention of battery life:
https://www.buyiscope.com /
As if that isn't enough, the web page ad writers prolly know nothing about magnetism and say the unit will attach to "any" metal surface and pick jewelry out of drains. I doubt that much jewelry, even "costume" stuff is made using magnetic materials.
It's an evil world out there.
Jeff (Grumpy on Sunday)
Jeffry Wisnia
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:27:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Evil, yes, misleading, questionable. I saw an emergency lantern advertised the same way. I did not think it "false advertising" at all. It is a fact and 100% true. There is no law, nor should there be, against stating the attributes of a product being advertised.
Now I do agree that many people lack the common sense to think it through. Hopefully, it will be a learning experience for them.
I did buy an LED light a few months back that claims battery life of 72 hours on high, 144 on low. Safer and brighter than kerosene lamps, I'll probably get another.

That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is metal that isn't genuine?
On 10/14/12 07:03 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Stuff that looks like metal but turns out to be plastic (ABS?) with a metallic-looking coating.
Perce

Sort of like a car I had years ago. I think some of the trim was tinfoil and coated with plastic. Maybe it was just bright plastic covered with more plastic.
On 10/14/2012 07:30 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Recently, a door handle (inside driver's side) on my truck broke. It was made of that fake metal (plastic made to look like metal).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

What about the things made of genuine leatherette, genuine faux pearl, and genuine plastic.

Or the coins "Clad in 18k Gold" by the Kinda Sorta Sounds Official Mint.

The price per ounce comes out to around $39,000 with clad.
My pet peeve is "needs no electricity; runs on batteries". So, does it eat, digest, and then poop the batteries?
That emergency lantern is made from "genuine metal." What the hell is metal that isn't genuine?
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Plated plastic.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

As opposed to plastic that is made to look like metal. Gee, you don't need a degree to figure this out, do you?
On 10/14/2012 5:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Leds do last a long time but better ads will give out light in lumens. I've got an led lantern with maybe 20 leds that you cannot even read by.
Can you find it at their website?
https://www.oldelantern.com /
I've got led flashlights with only one led that must put out 10 times as much light.
As for Bell and Howell I remember that they used to sell good quality stuff but now have been reduced to these junk TV products.
One LED light I got, advertised 30 hour run time on a change of batteries. I found 3 hours to be realistic. I wrote the seller, who replied "depends on the quality of the batteries". Clueless seller.
That's a long life. D cells, maybe? IIRC something like that at Home Depot?
I did buy an LED light a few months back that claims battery life of 72 hours on high, 144 on low. Safer and brighter than kerosene lamps, I'll probably get another.
On Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:27:07 PM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

While I'm probably a more knowledgeable than the average consumer, I thought it was fairly straightforward that they meant the life of the LED and it didn't seem that they were implying that the batteries would last that long. It would certainly take quite a leap of faith to believe that. At worst, it wasn't nearly as blatantly deceptive as some of the other ads I've seen.

I think you meant either 1.8e12 or 1.8*10^12. If 1.8*10e12 means anything at all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...
Larry Fishel wrote:

all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...

Thanks for spotting my goof. I've had that sig for at least two years and you are the first person nice enough to point that out.
Jeff
P.S. I haven't seen the name Fishel in about 65 years. I had an uncle named Fishel Soloman who owned The Owl Cleaners and Tailors on Castro Street in San Francisco in the 1940s and 50s.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

all, it would be a power of 10 higher than you meant (1.8*10*(10^12))...

There is a Fishel or Fischel family in Washington DC that have a catering business that they call O'Fishel, because it's almost official.

ght it was fairly straightforward that they meant the life of the LED and it didn't seem that they were implying that the batteries would last that long. It would certainly take quite a leap of faith to believe that. At worst, it wasn't nearly as blatantly deceptive as some of the other ads I've seen. Batteries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge

Most of the led ratings are for LEDs run at conservative ratings. If it get warm, it's over conservative ratings. Hardly any led lighting, is run conservatively. Count on mabe 5k-10k hours life.
Greg
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:27:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Maybe not. What do you think about Cancer Treatment Centers of America, which advertise all the time and count good nutrition as a treatment for cancer. They say "I got my life back" but don't then mean just that they feel more confident but die the same month they whould have?

I looked but it kept talking and interfering with my web radio, listen live, so I had to close the tab.

I knew a woman on the Bowery who had only steel jewelry.