Misleading Amazon price cuts on tools

Hm, you need a better search engine, I think. froogle and pricewatch both sort by _shipped_ price, not just retail item price.

If that includes your zip code, then you're being a bit unfair there, I think.

It depends .. some companies (LV comes to mind ;-) ) charge either a flat rate, or an incremental rate based on order total rather than by zip.
Others I've seen (and don't remember off the top of my head) will allow you to get to the shipping rates prior to entering any *financial* information -- which is how I interpreted the OP's post (yeah, I know, not *exactly* what the OP said ...)
Regardless, I won't do business with anyone I have to give information to, to find s/h data (other than at most, zip code) ... It's just not needed.
Personally, I generally don't use mail/web/phone orders to get a "deal" -- usually, by the time you factor in the s/h, any savings are lost. The real benefit to me for m/w/p is better selection. LV doesn't have a store in PDX, so I'm happy to do business with them - and I've used all three modes. I've done other business with, eg, Amazon, because they had something I couldn't find locally either at all, or easily enough.
But I won't do business with companies that make finding s/h a chore.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Let's face it. The ONLY info required to get a quote for the TOTAL price of anything should be a zip code. (Your name and address is hardly likely to influence the price, is it.) BUT once you enter even some basic personal info the seller can add it to his growing list of names which he can onsell to some oter enterprise and THAT, children, is why you get half a forest of junk crap dropped through your mailbox every day.
FoggyTown

Zip code is all that is required. If you look at the rate charts that UPS, FedEx and others distribute for web type shopping carts, all they require is the zip.
If you really need to use a particular vendor that pulls this crap, just put in bogus info and make sure the zip is correct.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

If they are using actual shipping charges, it would seem they would need to know your address to calculate them!

You certainly got an online or emailed receipt for the total. If they later billed you for an amount different from the receipt, you have grounds for a refund. Attorneys general get really itchy about fraud.
Bob

Roger Taylor wrote:

CAVEAT EMPTOR! Shipping AND handling/postage AND packaging. Apparently these places use real high quality, space-age cardboard boxes and the "handlers/packers" earn about $45/hour.
FoggyTown
This may be true for some items, but the one that I have been keeping an eye on (Bessey 24/40 clamp set) has actually come down in price about $10. (Was $140 now $130). Of course, it was $130 up until about 6 months ago.
Still offering free shipping on it too.
Now, when I get some kind of coupon or $off deal to go with it, I may "pull the trigger".
Last (and only) time I got it for $99!!
Lou

I just got a flyer with an order from Lee Valley. They give notification that Bessey is going to have a national promotion in October, but they cannot quote prices yet. So watch for announcements from all the Rocklers, Woodcrafts, Amazons, etc.
Bob

Thanks for that Bob,
I am in no big hurry to add to my (meager) Bessey collection!
Lou
Man do I feel left out of this thread... maybe I have been self employed too damn long, responsible for myself and my business.
The cost of goods in the consumer's eyes should be the cost to the door. Taxes, shipping, handling, notifications, shipping method, and anything else that I ALWAYS ask for is revealed when questioned. That is being responsible with your money. It is >your< responsibility to be careful, prudent, and wise with your money. Period.
Amazon is not doing anything you couldn't eventually figure out... I mean you did, right? Was it because it was there in front of you?
If you don't like the answers, if you don't like the method of presentation, or if you don't like the way you are treated, why in the hell would you buy from one of these companies and their affiliates?
Life is too short. Complaining will do absolutely nothing. Move on. Next vendor, please.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh... I think you miss the point. I know these conversations will certainly have a bearing on where I buy my next tool. Complaining to the company will do no good. Complaining to the newsgroup will help *someone*. Hopefully before they get screwed.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:23:26 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Looks like you are both saying the same thing. The difference is that by perhaps alerting some people who might not have looked so closely, or who had not been tracking prices previously, the OP is actually helping send a message to the vendor by amplifying a single voice to a broader audience of potential buyers. I went back and checked my records, my last purchase from Amazon or Tool Crib of the Amazon was in April, 2003. I really haven't found prices to be all that much better than other on-line, dedicated woodworking sources like Woodworkers Supply or Lee Valley or others. While I understand that shipping prices are going to rise, trying to hide those changes is not really very up-front with customers.

They are deceptive in other ways. If you sell a book through them they charge the customer ~$3.50 for shipping, but only pass along ~$2.60 to you to cover shipping costs. This is in addition to their listing fee and percentage of the sale. Unless you have sold through them And bought from private sellers through them, this 'fee' is completely hidden. I complained about this to them and did get a response, but it was of the humma, humma variety.

I wonder if this is part of the plan to get everyone purchase Amazon Prime memberships. Not only are tools taking longer to ship, so are books. I just placed an order for books with free shipping, and it will take 3 weeks for them to arrive.
Step 1) Offer Amazon Prime Step 2) Delay Shipping
Add *) Remove rebates *) Increase prices and that's a sure way to increase profits.
This increase in tool prices aren't done in a vacuum. The current Amazon policy is that if you find a brick & mortar store or catalog with a lower price, they will match it plus 10%. (i.e. this does not apply to a web site).
I'm wondering if they are beefing up their quarter's profits, so 'round Christmas time, they can drop prices again.
I was surprised that those books I ordered weren't as low cost as they used to be.
I ordered 3 PB books w/$7 list price, and they only knocked the price done a total of $1.40 off list.

Well, at least one item I just checked (Performax 16/32) is suddenly NOT eligible for Prime. It was before its price increased. I wonder what other products are no longer eligible for free shipping of any sort.
I joined Prime when it was first offered. At the time, I thought it made sense for me, given my purchase history and the stuff I was thinking about buying. It has certainly paid for itself by now (I've bought a lot of books, and some cookware, and taken good advantage of the free 2-day shipping), so if I can't use it for the rest of the year, I won't be terribly upset. But I won't renew my membership if the power tools on my wish list remain ineligible.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at remove eclipse dot net
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

I think you missed the point -- I did figure it out. However, I wanted to achieve two goals with this post: 1. Inform others who might be misled 2. Indirectly influence Amazon if such posts cause enough potential buyers to either look otherwise or to speak up themselves.
As you say, "Life is too short" to argue about this... If you disagree with my thinking, the as you say "Move on. Next" post "please".

And then order from Lee Valley? After all, they are the one doing the consumer-friendly thing of alerting you in advance, should they not get the benefit of your patronage in return?
John

Don't confuse the price of the product Amazon is selling with what the transaction will cost you when shipping, handling, tax, are added in. From my view as a consumer, price and cost are not the same thing.
I'm not a big fan of Amazon, but don't hold them responsible for the cost of shipping.
Jack -- Any tools or woods purchased or any time or money spent in the pursuit of woodworking that employs our evolutionary advantage of opposing thumbs needs no further justification.

I think you totally missed my point. I am not holding them responsible for anything -- they can say what they want and charge what they want (as long as they are not violating some law).
I was just pointing out that their marketing was misleading if not deceptive (though almost certainly not illegal) -- goal was to inform others and perhaps indirectly influence Amazon to avoid such misleading statements.
Jeff