Mirror Tile Removal

Page 2 of 2

On 9/9/2010 10:03 PM, Ron wrote:

Assuming one thinks a mirrored wall looks nice (which I would agree with only in very selected circumstances), there is almost always a better way to do it. IMHO, tiles look tacky and DIY. If you want a big mirror, get a big mirror, professionally installed. Look at the mirrors at a department store- almost never glued up- they sit in rails or clips, or are on a backer board, and hung on cleats. One big downside of tiles is that walls are seldom perfectly flat, and tiles end up pointing that out real quickly. A mirror hung on the wall, rather than glued to it, hides those little ripples.
--
aem sends...

I'm not talking about tiles, which so 60's. I'm talking about a nice floor to ceiling (or however far up you want to take it up) mirrored *wall*.
Also, it's not just tiles that point out that a wall isn't flat, you have the same problem with big plate glass mirrors. And the mirrors aren't perfectly "flat" either.
If you are butt joining the mirrors and not covering the joints with bevel strips, you have to use a suction cup to pull and push the mirrors to get the edges flush.
IOW, you have to work the mastic on the back of the mirror to get a perfect butt joint.
Some installers take it so far that they use a level on the surface of the mirrors to get them perfect so there is no "distortion" while looking at the mirrored wall.