Mirror Repair

Is it possible to re-silver a mirror? Is this a diificult task? My bathroom mirror is only 4 years old and I don't want to replace it yet. Could an DIY amateur attempt this and how what is the best way to go about it?

Any advice appreciated

lyngiven

Reply to
lyngiven

you will have to remove mirror anyway to fix or resilver, cheaper and easier to replace

Reply to
hallerb

It is really not a DIY task.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Re-silvering is definitely not a do it yourself type job. When you are ready to replace it drive past the big box places such as Home Depot and go to a real glass shop where you can get a mirror that will likely last a lifetime.

Reply to
George

The short answer to DIY re-silvering is no.

Here's the long answer. The reflective surface of a modern mirror (which I assume yours is) is made by the high-voltage vacuum deposition of aluminum onto the glass. No way an amateur is going to do that himself. Antique mirrors were made by chemical deposition of silver. In theory this can be done at home, but it would require access to specific toxic and corrosive chemicals, as well as a knowledge of chemistry. Just buying the chemicals and paying the associated haz-mat shipping charges would cost more than a replacement mirror. And the waste products of the reaction would be a toxic brew that probably would be illegal to dump down the drain. Not worth the trouble.

Reply to
Bill

I haven't checked, but I'm sure if you pay enough money, there is someone who can re-silver your mirror.

Not for him.

You could DIY make phone calls and wrap the mirror for shipping.

:)

I'm not counting on that. :)

Reply to
mm

How about painting the back of the mirror black? A can of spray paint is pretty cheap...

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

It would sort of defete the purpose of the mirror would it not? Many mirrors do have a black finish on the back, but that just protects the reflecting material (silver in the really old days). Today as I recall that reflective material is put on using equipment not generally found in the home shop.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan