Minwax Gell Stain

Seen on Trading Spaces where they used a gel stain on a bedroom set and explained that there was no sanding or prep work needed! They took a lighter oak colored set and turned it into a darker wood... My qyestion is.. is it possible to do the same in reverse? turn a non real wood surface from darker to lighter? The gel stain is supposed to go over any paint and surfaces.. to turn a darker surface lighter should I prime it with kilz first or are there other ways?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net said...

Stain over paint? What kind of look are you going for?
according to the directions on the minwax can there is a tool that you can buy to drag the stain so that it appears to be wood grain. Just trying to lighten up the color it is now.
I doubt it would work very well going from dark to light. The gel is somewhat translucent.
A side, don't trust everything you see on Trading Spaces. I can't imagine the job was done very well unless the surface was already perfect to being with. TV just isn't close up enough to really "see" anything.