Minwax Gell Stain

Seen on Trading Spaces where they used a gel stain on a bedroom set and explained that there was no sanding or prep work needed! They took a lighter oak colored set and turned it into a darker wood... My qyestion is.. is it possible to do the same in reverse? turn a non real wood surface from darker to lighter? The gel stain is supposed to go over any paint and surfaces.. to turn a darker surface lighter should I prime it with kilz first or are there other ways?

Reply to
shoalsman

Stain over paint? What kind of look are you going for?

Reply to
Brad

according to the directions on the minwax can there is a tool that you can buy to drag the stain so that it appears to be wood grain. Just trying to lighten up the color it is now.

Reply to
shoalsman

I doubt it would work very well going from dark to light. The gel is somewhat translucent.

A side, don't trust everything you see on Trading Spaces. I can't imagine the job was done very well unless the surface was already perfect to being with. TV just isn't close up enough to really "see" anything.

Reply to
GIJane