minor damage to floor

after moving into our house, a 1952 2 story brick single home, we removed the old damaged kitchen tile to make way for a new floor. the flooring system consisted of 2x10 joists - 3/4 tongue and groove - 3/4 plywood - tile.
when tearing up the tile in some sections it seems like it ripped up the top "ply" of the plywood. and now it is a little uneven on one side of the kitchen. maybe an 1/8 of an inch.
to replace the pice of plywood i would have to either remove or cut around kitchen cabinets. are there any other solutions to level the floor. someone told me to use builders paper to bring it up to level before putting down new hardwood on top of it.
would that work well? anyone have any thoughts?
steve

Don't they make a latex levelling compound for exactly that purpose?
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:03:03 -0500, Goedjn wrote

i wasnt sure if that could be used on wood. i thought that was just for uneven concrete.
steve

You might be right... I thought there was a different product, more flexible, that was for going over wood, but now I can't find any sign of it.
In that case, epoxy wood filler.
<< In that case, epoxy wood filler. >>
Good, but pricey. Sealing the plywood with a low cost polyurethane followed by old fashioned Bondo or equivalent could be quite cost effective, and the Bondo is very easy to bring to a level surface. Available at lots of auto parts places, Farm & Fleet, whatever. Good luck.
Joe