Minor bathroom repairs - looking for advice

We need some minor bathroom work done in oru Eichler; however, I'm not sure what type of contractor/handyman/... would do this work. Recommendations are welcome.

1) We recently had our bathroom floor replaced - the old floor was Pergo, and the new floor is tile. The Pergo floor was about a 1/2 inch thicker than the tile floor, so now there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the tile floor and the wooden door uprights (or whatever you call the trim around a door). I'm guessing this gap needs to filled in with (fill in the blank) before it's painted over?

2) Second, the tile design was done on a diagonal, so the edge, near the entrance is somewhat jagged. Our hallway floor is also Pergo, and we had a Pergo transition strip/lip placed between the hallway and bathroom floor, to cover up this jagged edge. This mostly worked... however, once the gaps, described in (1), are filled in, there will be a small (about 1 square millimeter) gap/hole between the end of the tile and the Pergo transition strip. I'm hoping this small hole can be filled in with come kind of hard compound that closely matches the color of the tile (off-white). We're talking about a really small hole, so as long as the color/brightness of the tile and compound are close, I think that would be good enough. What would be the best way fix this small hole?

Once this work is done, we plan on repainting the entire bathroom. Is this the type of fixup work a painter should be able to do? Or is it better to get someone else to do this minor work before hiring a painter?

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
eg

I suggest you have the contractor who did the floor come back and finish the job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Let's just say we had a bad experience with the contractor, and we want to work with someone else... If it were that simple, I wouldn't have posted these questions to begin with... I'm not concerned with the extra money to get someone else to do it - I'm just concerned about getting it done correctly.

thanks

Reply to
eg

There are dozens of products on the market that will fix your problems.

I'd first get a wider transition strip, which is much easier than trying to match the tile. Then some 'filler' and caulk and sandpaper to do the other. Once painted, you can't tell where the wood facing ends.

Reply to
JimL

it's painted over? There are many ways to do this. Easiest is probably to insert a small sliver of wood (ideally cut from a similar door jamb) and slide this in. You can then close up the remaining space with a wood filler (this is a putty-like compound). Best to do this in several layers rather than piling it on. Sand, prime and paint.

As one of the other posters mentioned, a wider transition strip is the easiest. You could fill the gap with grout as well, just get something that matches the color of the existing grout. Caulk can also do the trick, which might be better since it's flexible. Matching the color would be more difficult though.

Depends on the painter. A handy painter can certainly do item (1), but it will cost you in labor. Filling the hole, waiting for it to dry etc. is a small effort but requires quite a bit of elapsed time. Painters are most cost-effective when everything is cleaned, sanded, filled and prepped, so they can get in and out within a day.

Reply to
baspluim