minimum length for a circuit?

I have been pondering this idea, but looking for validation. I want to wire up a 40 to 50 amp circuit 220V for a welder.
Due to the high price of copper and stiffness of 6-8 Awg wires. Can I save time and money by installing a electrical box /w receptable just above the (in-wall) breaker panel, in the same cavity, without going through the header? I am thinking of using an old work box, the kind that clamps on drywall.
Is there anything in the NEC code that states you cannot have the recepticle too close to the breaker, for example 2 feet of wire?
If not, what about the same situation but using a metal box mounted to a stud on the drywall, with the wire coming in from behind the box (part of dry wall cut out). Since the higher ampere plugs are stiffer, I am thinking a old work box might not take the abuse well. Wires will be clamped inside the box.
Thanks
Nothing wrong with that. You can use a surface receptacle rated for the amperage of the welder as well

Yes, but be careful when cutting that box into the wall. The majority of your circuits feed into the top of the breaker box and damaging any would be a bad thing.

Nope. I've attached 100's of recepticle boxes directly to surface mounted boxes.
Dave S(Texas)

The wire clamps on a plastic old work box are usually not large enough to accommadate 8/2 or 6/2 romex. You can use 2- 2" x 3" x 3.5" switch boxes with 3/4" knockouts ganged together and a 3/4" squeeze connector. Mount them next to a stud and use madison bars and some wood screws for support. Alternatively, as RBM suggested you can use a surface mount receptacle or you can install a 4 11/16" square x 2 1/8" deep metal box with a surface cover. Both metal boxes will need to have a grounding screw installed.

I did think about the clamps on plastic boxes and I think I will go with a metal box that has a clamp bar, is that what you mean by madison bar?
Here a complication arises, I believe I did not see any NM wires less than 10 Gauge in both local big box stores. Do I need to go to a more specialized place?
Must I use Romex? Can I use THNN? (i.e, is stranded wire OK to connect at the breaker?) or other variety?
Thanks

u got the idea and works just do it you got it
I just bought 125' of 6/3 at HD for $150. That's not terribly expensive; if you were local I would give you 10' of it!

On 7 Mar 2007 02:09:22 -0800, jeremy snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

imho:
I've never heard of a min length requirement, but you might have some weird local codes.
One suggestion, have the receptacle far enough away, that if a plug is tugged out, it doesn't hang up on any other wires.
tom @ www.Numerology-Readings.com